Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Medicine doctor , PGCSD( Dermatology)

I have a rash that has appeared on my upper chest and is

Customer Question

Hi I have a rash that has appeared on my upper chest and is red, scaly and in an upside down v shape. It is not itchy but feels uncomfortable. Each day it is spreading more.I have graves thyroid disease and have been taking methimazole for several years. The only thing I know it is not is shingles as I had a titer done recently which showed I have never had chicken pox.Could you tell me what possibilities there are for a rash like this? I visited the dr and am using a steroid cream but it is not helping so far.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 6 months ago.
Hello, Is the rash flat?Is it painful to touch?Have you started any new medications before this rash started?Can you please share picture. Thanks
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No new medications or beauty products etc latelyIt is flat but very scaly and rough feeling at some points and actually looks scaly if you look closely.I attached a photoThanks
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 6 months ago.
Dear,I can understand your concern.Thanks for sharing clear picture. Well, it could be indicative of Seborrheic Dermatitis.Also, I would make clear that this is a condition where the body loses tolerance for a yeast called Malassezia (which is present normally on all our skins) and starts attacking it leading to redness. This is not a serious issue and can be managed easily. These symptoms can be treated through these ways-1. You should mix 1% Cortisone cream with 1% Clotrimazole cream and apply over the affected area twice a day, for at least 10 days.2. You should take Tab Claritin 10 mg twice a day.3. You should also use Calamine lotion for local application.4. When washing or bathing, keep water contact as brief as possible.5. Take tab Motrin 400mg twice a day. This will reduce inflammation of skin.6. You should take Cap Lumitene (Beta Carotene) one morning and evening for 1 month, It would preventre-occurrence of this conditionThese all are OTC drugs.You should Wear smooth-textured cotton clothing. This helps to keep air circulating around your skin and reduces irritation. You should Avoid scratching.Most likely, in one week, you would be free from symptoms.In case, symptoms doesn't start to improve with above measures, then you need to see your doctor. They would prescribe you with drugs like Mometasone and Itraconazole. I would suggest you to follow measures, as advised in this post, and most likely you would get cured. I hope this helps.If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance.My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business