Dr. S. Attili
Dr. S. Attili, Dermatologist & Dermatopathologist
Experience:  MRCP (Dermatology), Int. Board Certification in Dermatopathology
17493159

You may remember me from July of last year, I had

Customer Question

Hey there! You may remember me from July of last year, I had staph infection on my penis and penile psoriasis formed as a result. I had been treating it with cortisone 10. I've had a recent breakout and have been treating it with coconut oil and ingesting more Anti-inflammatory foods and liquids; aloe Vera, fish oil, olive leaf, and healthy juices high in vitamin A and C. This has done okay in results but still hasn't gone away. What do you think I should do? Is the approach I am taking a good one?Thanks!
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. S. Attili replied 8 months ago.
Hello. I am Dr. Venkat Attili, Dermatologist and Dermatopathologist with over 10 years of experience in this field. I am here to assist you and will answer your questions to your complete satisfaction.
Can you please upload a picture at your convenience?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Here you go
Sorry. No picture here :) Here are the site's instructions if you need help doing that: http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
This should work
Hi. This does indeed look like penile psoriasis. Ids it itchy/ sore? Do you ever notice pus/ water filled blisters?Do you have psoriasis elsewhere? Have you used any other creams apart from hose mentioned?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Not itchy, no blisters, have been checked for STD's, negative. Yes I've used lotrimin anti fungal (I'd combine with the cortizone 10 w/ aloe) that seemed to work, i may just go back to that. However, are there any other remedies you can think of that may be better?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have not had symptoms on any other area.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
When I say it "worked" I mean it would keep it at bay, I'd rather not apply those creams too much, as I feel it could be detrimental
Ok. One thing worth trying which might clear it off completely is using tacrolimus 0.03% ointment twice daily. That is only available on prescription though. So please speak to your doctor. Yes, yeast infections are very common too. They can often be present along with psoriasis. Therefore using lotrimin twice daily regardless is important.Hope this helps. Do keep me posted & get back if you have any further questions or feel that I have missed out anything. I will be here to provide ongoing advice as necessary. Best wishes
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you. I will seek the tacrolimus 0.03%. As far as sex is concerned, would it be best for me to use a condom? (My girlfriend is completely aware of my condition)
whether you use a condom or not, it is best to make sure that the area is well lubricated at the time of sex. That should suffice...
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Okay, thanks. I don't think I'll be able to get the tacrolimus as I'm an entrepreneur with no health insurance or Doctor. Any over the counter things you recommend? I bought some lotrimin yesterday and also got lotrimin ultra. The active ingredient is butenafine hydrochloride. Will this be okay to apply? I noticed it is different than the normal lotrimin
Expert:  Dr. S. Attili replied 7 months ago.
Ohh. I am afraid over the counter creams would not be strong enough to help :( Yes Lotrimin Ultra or lotrimin, both would be fine to treat any possible yeast infection, that may be aggravating it.