Dr. S. Attili
Dr. S. Attili, Dermatologist & Dermatopathologist
Experience:  MRCP (Dermatology), Int. Board Certification in Dermatopathology
17493159

I have a spot on my thigh few months, while on vacation

Customer Question

I have a spot on my thigh for a few months, while on vacation I went to the Caribbean and was bitten by sand flies so I didn't think much of the spot. However, it seems to have gotten irritated after I was scratching my leg the other night. The way it looks concerns me. I get reg. skin checks and have no history of skin cancer in my family.
https://i.imgsafe.org/7d7cb40.jpg
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. S. Attili replied 8 months ago.
Hello. I am Dr. Venkat Attili, Dermatologist and Dermatopathologist with over 10 years of experience in this field. I am here to assist you and will answer your questions to your complete satisfaction.
Please bear with me while I examine the picture
Thanks for your patience. Tell me, is the spot hard, firm or soft to touch?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
When I go over that part of my leg and touch the spot it feels kinda firm - the red in the spot also turns white when pressed, then red again.
Ok. This looks like what we call a dermatofibroma. It is a firm scar tissue caused by insect bites usually. It is harmless and benign. No treatment is needed unless it is constantly itching (I would try cortisone cream 4 times a day for 2-3 weeks is the case) despite treatment or is increasing in size, in which case it is best to have it cut out under local anaesthetic. If not, you can leave it alone. It may stay like that for a number of years. You can read all about it here- http://dermnetnz.mobify.me/lesions/dermatofibroma.htmlHope this helps. Do keep me posted & get back if you have any further questions or feel that I have missed out anything. I will be here to provide ongoing advice as necessary. Best wishes
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ahh okay interesting, at first it did look like one of those pictures in that link. It blisters up every now and then if irritated. I have my annual skin check coming soon. I'll apply cortisone and see if there is any change in the meantime. So i shouldn't be worried that it is kind of depressed in the center?
Nope, this isn't worrying :)