Dr. S. Attili
Dr. S. Attili, Dermatologist & Dermatopathologist
Experience:  MRCP (Dermatology), Int. Board Certification in Dermatopathology
17493159

Rash popped up on my legs about 1 month ago, went away and

Customer Question

Rash popped up on my legs about 1 month ago, went away and is now back with vengeance. Very itchy. And only from the knee down
JA: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: It only itches at night. Calms when I apply with cocnut oil
JA: Anything else I can tell the Doctor before I connect you two?
Customer: Red, and skin is slightly raised
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. S. Attili replied 7 months ago.
Hello. I am Dr. Venkat Attili, Dermatologist and Dermatopathologist with over 10 years of experience in this field. I am here to assist you and will answer your questions to your complete satisfaction. Please let me know- how old are you? Male/ female? Also, can you please upload a picture at your convenience? Here are the site's instructions if you need help doing that: http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am a 25 year old female never really had a skin issue, or sensitive skin
ok. please upload a picture at your convenience....
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Photos attached
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
.
Thanks. This looks like eczema. Have you used any new soaps/ creams recently or exposed yourself to sunlight?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No sunlight
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I don't believe I have changed anything in my regime. I normally don't use lotions on my skin, only coconut oil to moisturize which I have done for years
ok. Strange for eczema to only occur on the legs, without a specific trigger. It is possible that one may develop an allergy to coconut oil. Do you use it just on the legs or all over the body?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I thought it to be very strange that it's just on my legs. I use bronners eucalyptus as a body wash and coconut oil all over body and face
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I used a new brand of razor on legs about a month ago but changed back to my normal brand when I noticed the rash, may be this could be it?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Don't do anything in my daily routine that's only to below the knee
ok. Well, it could be an allergy to the razor. But again unusual for allergy to last 1 month after insulting agent has not been in contact.. Anyway let us treat it first and see if it recurs.Eczema should resolve with using 1% cortisone cream 4 times a day all over the legs. In addition, keep the legs moisturised. Just in case, I would suggest using petroleum jelly instead of coconut oil. Once the eczema clears you may experiment with coconut oil later. If cortisone isn't helping, please see your doctor and get a prescription for clobetasol propionate ointment, to be applied once a day. it is a much stronger steroid and should clear it up. Hope that helps. Do keep me posted & get back if you have any further questions or feel that I have missed out anything. I will be here to provide ongoing advice as necessary. Please do not hesitate to ask.Best wishes
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Okay thank you!
You are most welcome :)