Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

My son has what he thought was a spider bite. today he has

Customer Question

My son has what he thought was a spider bite. today he has 2 more spots on his body. we are not sure what it is?
JA: The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: I'd like to send pictures. How can I do that?
JA: Anything else I can tell the Doctor before I connect you two?
Customer: the original "bite" is on his stomach, surrounded by 4 red red spots. there is a new one on his chest and one on his eyebrow
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dermatology
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Pictures of the "bites"
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 6 months ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.When did he first notice the "bite" on the stomach?Did he see a spider or did he assume it was a spider?If he saw a spider, can he describe the spider?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He did not see the spider...just assumed. It started on his stomach 3 days ago. The 2 secondary "spots" appeared today
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Also, he said the one on his stomach initially itched, but does not itch anymore.
I am sorry for the delay, but I temporarily lost internet connection. Since it has been 3 days since this started, it is not typical for a poisonous spider bite. In the US, there are only two poisonous spiders, and only one of those has a local poison that will cause a reaction in the skin - the brown recluse spider. The venom of a brown recluse spider bite will cause rapid death of the tissue of the skin, usually in the center of the area of redness and by 3 days, it would typically be much more advanced than it appears in this picture. There are many other spiders that may bite humans, and humans can be sensitive/allergic to these other spider bites, but these other spider bite would be similar to sensitivity/allergy to any bug bite. The reaction in the pictures, then, could be a reaction to a generic spider or to any insect bite. There are several interventions that can be done to help these areas heal. It can help to take an oral antihistamine to limit the sensitivity/allergy. It is important to be cleaning the areas a couple times each day. An over the counter hydrocortisone cream can then be applied to help ease the inflammation in the skin. If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is there anything else that this could be besides an insect bite? Bacterial, viral, fungal?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Because all 3 "spots" are in completely different areas of the body?
The appearance is more of an inflammatory condition, but it is possible that an infection could have this appearance. Infections, typically directly spread, rather than causing multiple lesions separated by normal skin.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
And because the other 2 spots showed up 2 days later after the first one? If you look at the picture of the first bite on his stomach, you can see 4 faint red bullseye/circles that surround it. It's really weird looking to me.
Yes, I saw the other circles that surround it. That is what I meant by infections not usually causing multiple lesions separated by normal skin.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I've been doing a lot of research on this and looking at different images online, and I am thinking that this is shingles. The sore on his stomach has entered a blistering phase. What do you think?
It would be very unusual for shingles to affect the head and the abdomen. It typically is limited to the path of a single nerve. Could you attach a picture of the blisters?