Dr. S. Attili
Dr. S. Attili, Dermatologist & Dermatopathologist
Experience:  MRCP (Dermatology), Int. Board Certification in Dermatopathology
17493159

Having scrotum/penis red itch JA: The Doctor will need to

Customer Question

Having scrotum/penis red itch
JA: The Doctor will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so the Doctor can help you best.
Customer: Whole scrotum extra red, the red area line is precisely on scrotum only with distinct cut off area, small red pimples now forming on inner thighs where testicles touch it, also base of penis now becoming red. Intensely itchy
JA: Anything else I can tell the Doctor before I connect you two?
Customer: No
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. S. Attili replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I am Dr. Venkat Attili, Dermatologist and Dermatopathologist with over 10 years of experience in this field. I am here to assist you and will answer your questions to your complete satisfaction. Can you please upload a picture at your convenience? Here are the site's instructions if you need help doing that: http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I uploaded a few I have more if needed
Thanks for the details and pictures which are most suggestive of a yeast infection. This is usually due to a yeast called candida. It is common in people who sweat a lot, and/ or in people who have diabetes. Treatment is simple, in the form of two over the counter creams: 1% hydrocortisone & Clotrimazole. One has to mix both creams in equal amounts and apply them twice a day for 2-4 weeks to clear this up completely. Alternatively you can get Daktacort cream on prescription from your doctor, as that contains both ingredients. If the infection does not clear up, one would need to get a prescription for a tablet called Itraconazole and take 100mg once daily for 14 days. This is a harmless infection, but if your partner has thrush (a yeast infection too), she would also need to be treated or else you will just end up being re-infected.To reduce the risk of re-infection the following measures also help:Dry the areas carefully after bathing using a separate towel.Do not share towels, sheets or personal clothing.Avoid wearing occlusive or synthetic clothing.There is nothing to worry about. This is nothing serious nor is this an STD.Hope this helps. Do keep me posted & get back if you have any further questions or feel that I have missed out anything. Please do not hesitate to ask. I will be here to provide ongoing advice as necessary.Best wishes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do have 2 questions. The penis hole is now seeming to turn red, but I never have any pain urinating or problem with discharge is this also probably because touching the area, and 2 you are quite sure? And what about using Monostat, or just stick to your concoction
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And showering should be cold or hot? What kind of soap?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And no sex I presume?
If you have Monostat, that can be taken in addition to the topicals. The penis can also be involved by yeast infection by direct spread. Doesn't matter- with regards ***** ***** or soap. Yes no sex, until this has healed up. Usually takes 1-2 weeks.