Dr. S. Attili
Dr. S. Attili, Dermatologist & Dermatopathologist
Experience:  MRCP (Dermatology), Int. Board Certification in Dermatopathology
17493159

My name is ***** ***** I have a concern about an issue my

Customer Question

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I have a concern about an issue my fiancee has. Recently he's developed some sort of red lump on the lower left part of his stomach. At first we thought it was just a spider bite, but it became more red and is now scabbing with flaking on and around the skin. He's been treating it with tea tree oil and takes a sort of herbal antibiotic as we now think it's some sort of infected wound. Can we get a medical opinion about this? It would be much appreciated. The lump is about the size of a half-dollar coin, and is red (but not a bright red, more darker) with flaking skin. It seems like it is scabbing a little too. There's no fluid leaking out of the lump, and it's a bit hard to the touch. Anyou ideas?
-Thanks
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. S. Attili replied 7 months ago.
Hello. I am Dr. Venkat Attili, Dermatologist and Dermatopathologist with over 10 years of experience in this field. I am here to assist you and will answer your questions to your complete satisfaction. Can you please upload a picture at your convenience? Here are the site's instructions if you need help doing that: http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Here is two photos from different angels and lighting. Hope it is enough
Apologies for the slight delay. Can you tell me when exactly the lump appeared? Is it getting bigger? Is it itchy or sore?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It appeared about 2 and a half weeks ago. It was sore at first and about the size of a small pimple or spider bite. It grew to that within a week. Then it hasn't really grew or anything sense than. It doesn't hurt or itch any more. We have been applying tea tree oil to it and he has been taking echinacea pills.
ok, It looks like a small boil which is healing up. I would have expected it to have been itchy if it was an insect bite. If it isn't hurting anymore, the infection is likely to subside spontaneously. You can keep applying tea tree oil 3-4 times a day. Nothing to worry. Hope this helps. Do keep me posted & get back if you have any further questions or feel that I have missed out anything. Please do not hesitate to ask. I will be here to provide ongoing advice as necessary.Best wishes.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you so much. This does ease our worries on the matter.
You are most welcome :)