Dr. S. Attili
Dr. S. Attili, Dermatologist & Dermatopathologist
Experience:  MRCP (Dermatology), Int. Board Certification in Dermatopathology

I just have a biopsy on my face today. It was a suspicious

Customer Question

I just have a biopsy on my face today. It was a suspicious brown spot that changed. What is the best thing to reduce scarring. It looks like a hole
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have been using retain a for over 20 years... I put it on as I usually do. Next morning the borne spot and only three brown spot swelled, darkened and changed . Went to flaking and peeling and looks irritated. Derm said it could be early stages melanoma and wanted to biopsy. Brown
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dermatologists generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dermatology
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am fair skinned. What can I do to minimize scarring? I did my years of sun and tanning (my mom said it was healthy). Will laser or ipl's help prevent ?
Expert:  Dr. S. Attili replied 6 months ago.
Hello. I am Dr. Venkat Attili, Dermatologist and Dermatopathologist with over 10 years of experience in this field. I am here to assist you and will answer your questions to your complete satisfaction. Can you please upload a picture at your convenience? Here are the site's instructions if you need help doing that:
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Here is the photo
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Did this work? The directions for sending s photo aren't the same as what the phone actually does
Thanks. Yes. Can you tell me- when did they take a biopsy. Was it a punch biopsy or did they scrape away the entire lesion?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It was a scrape and not the entire lesion . And that was taken right after. It looks better today. I am using aquafor and a bandaid. I am going on vacation in two weeks and I wanted to wait but she said that was too long.
Ok. I wouldn't worry about scarring yet, as the actual treatment to be decided once the biopsy report is back (excision or cream treatment) would determine what the final scar would look like. It is more important to treat the lesion properly and the treatment would be based on the biopsy report. For now I would suggest keep using the Aquaphor 3-4 times a day and leaving the area to air rather than covering it up (unless there is going t be dust exposure). That should suffice. Nothing else is needed. While on vacation make sure you use a high factor sunscreen and stay away from direct sunlight. Hope that helps. Do keep me posted & get back if you have any further questions or feel that I have missed out anything. I will be here to provide ongoing advice as necessary. Please do not hesitate to ask.Best wishes.