Dr. S. Attili
Dr. S. Attili, Dermatologist & Dermatopathologist
Experience:  MRCP (Dermatology), Int. Board Certification in Dermatopathology

Dr. Nair, I have had these itchy bumps on my thighs couple

Customer Question

Dr. Nair, I have had these itchy bumps on my thighs for a couple months now. I went to the locks dermatologist a while ago and he just gave me a steroid cream to reduce the itch but it didn't prevent new ones from coming back. I now within the last two weeks have gotten some bumps on my penis which become irritated after sex. They seem to be the same as the bumps on my legs so I don't think it's herpies but I'm not sure. Could it be scabies?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. S. Attili replied 6 months ago.
Hello. I am Dr. Venkat Attili, Dermatologist and Dermatopathologist with over 10 years of experience in this field. Dr. Nair is not available currently. I am here to assist you and will answer your questions to your complete satisfaction. If that is ok, Can you please upload a picture at your convenience?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I added pictures of the ones on my head, and under the head and on my legs
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Did you receive the images?
Thank you. Just received the pictures. Can you tell me- do you have any bumps on your hands/ in between your fingers? Is anyone else in the family affected? Any bumps on the skin of the scrotum/ penis? Which steroid cream are you using?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes there are a few bumps that have popped up in between my fingers and on my arms but nothing like my thighs. As far as my scrotum two have popped up around the same time as the ones on my penis. My girlfriend moved in recently and she's had a couple bumps here and there but nothing to the severity of mine.. I added a picture of the cream. Are the bumps on my penis an STD?
Ok. Your history is very strongly suggestive of scabies.
The best way to treat scabies is with permethrin cream. You can get permethrin 5% lotion over the counter. However everyone in the house needs to apply the cream head down to the toes, twice, a week apart, as per instructions in this website below. addition, to help with the itch, I would recommend the following:1. Calamine lotion applied 3-4 times a day
2. Cortisone cream applied twice a day
3. Benadryl tablets 6hrly as required, to stop the itch.This is nothing serious and should clear up with treatment.Hope this helps. Do keep me posted & get back if you have any further questions or feel that I have missed out anything. I will be here to provide ongoing advice as necessary. Please do not hesitate to ask. Best wishes.
By the way- by cortisone I mean the Betamethasone steroid cream
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Okay thank you!What can I do to take the swelling down or get the bumps on my penis to go away?
Following the treatment regimen as above should make them clear up in a few days