Dr. S. Attili
Dr. S. Attili, Dermatologist & Dermatopathologist
Experience:  MRCP (Dermatology), Int. Board Certification in Dermatopathology
17493159

We are on vacation in North Carolina and my daughter developed

Customer Question

We are on vacation in North Carolina and my daughter developed this rash on her feet and legs
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. S. Attili replied 8 months ago.
Hello. I am Dr. Venkat Attili, Dermatologist and Dermatopathologist with over 10 years of experience in this field. I am here to assist you and will answer your questions to your complete satisfaction. Can you please upload a picture at your convenience?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Did you receive them?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Did you receive the images?
Thank you. Yes. When exactly did the rash appear. Does she have a fever, abdominal pain or any other symptoms? Has she taken any new pills recently?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It began Sunday evening. She shaved her legs on Friday, the day we laughed and had some razor rash on her thighs only . Don't know if this has any bearing on it at all there are some wrinkles of red purple dots on her thighs as well but minimal. The large areas developed Sunday evening and she presents with some Adema by the end of the day. No areas are open or draining. She is having no other physical symptom
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Sprinkles of red purple dots I meant
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Left not laughed
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
She does occasionally take xyzal for allergies and took on Friday.... She tells me now she thinks perhaps this was the first time she took it
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No fever no and pain no other physical symptoms. The rash does not burn or itch however when she had shoes on last night it was irritating to the areas on her feet
Ok. This is a condition called leucocytoclastic vasculitis. You can read all about it here- http://dermnetnz.mobify.me/vascular/small-vessel-vasculitis.htmlIn general it is a harmless self resolving condition caused as a reaction to a virus infection. However it can at times become severe needing oral steroids. If her symptoms are progressing I would suggest going to the local ER and getting a 2 week course of steroid tablets (Prednisolone 40mg once daily for 1 week followed by 20mg for 1 week). That should clear it up. You can consult a dermatologist in person when you return, if it is persistent for more than 2 weeks.Hope this helps. Do keep me posted & get back if you have any further questions or feel that I have missed out anything. I will be here to provide ongoing advice as necessary. Best wishes
Yes, it can also occur as a reaction to Zyxal, though it is very rare!