Dr. S. Attili
Dr. S. Attili, Dermatologist & Dermatopathologist
Experience:  MRCP (Dermatology), Int. Board Certification in Dermatopathology

My wife has what looks like eczema outbreaks on the tops of

Customer Question

My wife has what looks like eczema outbreaks on the tops of her feet but nothing seems to help it or calm down the itch. Becomes very itchy when hot. Any ideas what this could be?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. S. Attili replied 6 months ago.
Hello. I am Dr. Venkat Attili, Dermatologist and Dermatopathologist with over 10 years of experience in this field. I am here to assist you and will answer your questions to your complete satisfaction. Can you please upload a picture at your convenience?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you. This does indeed look like eczema. Eczema on the feet is often secondary to allergy to footwear. Has she started using any new footwear? That could be the reason for the eczema being persistent despite treatment. If you have eliminated footwear as a cause, I would suggest consulting your doctor and getting a prescription for clobetasol propionate ointment and apply it once a day on the affected area, for 7-10 days. That should clear it up completely. Do not worry, this is nothing serious.Hope this helps. Do keep me posted & get back if you have any further questions or feel that I have missed out anything. I will be here to provide ongoing advice as necessary. Best wishes.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She is in the process of changing out her footwear trying to eliminate the possibility that it is something she has been wearing. Any suggestions on OTC treatments for eczema? Without insurance an ointment becomes very pricy.
I am afraid cortisone is the only OTC steroid available. :(
Eczema does not resolve without steroid creams and if cortisone isn't working she will need a prescription strength stronger cream