Dr. S. Attili
Dr. S. Attili, Dermatologist & Dermatopathologist
Experience:  MRCP (Dermatology), Int. Board Certification in Dermatopathology
17493159

I traveled in a plane hours sitting wearing tights and being

Customer Question

Hi. I traveled in a plane for 10 hours sitting wearing tights and being very warm sweaty. I then went to the gym on a foam roller under my tailbone. That night, I noticed 3 pimples in a cluster and the patch is red and warm. They look like the pimples on my face. Smooth, elevated with a white waxy hue.
Should I be concerned?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. S. Attili replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I am Dr. Venkat Attili, Dermatologist and Dermatopathologist with over 10 years of experience in this field. I am here to assist you and will answer your questions to your complete satisfaction. Can you please upload a picture at your convenience?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sent photo. Thanks.
Thanks. Is the area sore or itchy?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sore the way a pimple would be.
Ok. It is unusual for pimples to all develop in a grouped cluster in the form of a circle like this. That is more typical of herpes/ cold sore infection. Have you ever had cold sores before?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've never had cold sores/herpes anywhere on my body. I'm 45. Could it be something else?
Well it could just be bacterial folliculitis/ infection caused by friction/ sweating. The only way to prove it is to get a skin swab test done for both herpes and bacteria. But I wouldn't bother with it if this is your first time as it is going to resolve in a few days anyway, if you apply neosporin cream 3-4 times a day. If the problem doesn't resolve or is recurrent you can go through the hassle of testing. Nothing to worry about either way!Hope this helps. Do keep me posted & get back if you have any further questions or feel that I have missed out anything. I will be here to provide ongoing advice as necessary. Best wishes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you! One random thought: is it possible this is shingles? I had the chicken pox and young people (under 50) have been getting shingles in my office. Thanks again.
Well shingles is a type of herpes infection. But shingles usually occurs in a much more extensive area rather than such a small zone. If it is herpes infection it is more likely to be Herpes simplex/ Cold sore
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. The neosporin is actually making it fade already after two applications, so I think it is bacterial folliculitis after all. Thanks again.
Excellent. Good to know