Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Medicine doctor , PGCSD( Dermatology)
6740150

I have been having a recurring itchy reddened raised area at

Customer Question

I have been having a recurring itchy reddened raised area at the base of my penis. It presents with severe itching and always appears in the same place. Looks to be a grouping of 3-4 papules with clear and yellow fluid. Any help would be appreciated.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 8 months ago.

Hello

Welcome to Justanswer website.

Myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern

Since how long you have this redness & itching?

Are you sexually active?

Can you send a pic of this lesion?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It randomly occurs every couple of months. This occurence has been for about 4 days. Yes sexually active with wife of 8 yrs. No other partners. Where do i send the picture?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I see the add file link.
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 8 months ago.

Dear customer

You need to add the pic from : add file photo" a clip photo.

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 8 months ago.

Dear customer

Thank you for the quick reply.

The symptoms you have described of having itchy reddened raised area at the base of penis having 3-4 papules with clear and yellow fluid seems most likely to be due to fungal/yeast infection.

Typically the area becomes itchy and irritable.Apply ointment containing clotrimazole+betamethasone.It is available at the counter without the prescription.Apply the cream to the surrounding 4-6 cm of normal skin in addition to the rash/itching area.

If still the symptoms persist,then you need to consult your doctor as you may need oral anti fungal medication like fluconazole (diflucan) or Itraconazole (sporanox) and tests to rule out any STD like genital herpes may be done as you had history of lesion since last 8 years.

Also check your blood sugar levels.Keep your genital area clean and dry.Avoid undergarments made from synthetic materials.

So bot***** *****ne is that I advise you to apply the above described ointment & accordingly you may need to consult your doctor for oral prescription medications.

Hope this helped

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you.

Kind Regards
Dr.Josh

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Were you able to view the picture? Would fungal/yeast reappear in the exact location months appart?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Also would herpes be confined to one single cluster?
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 8 months ago.

Dear customer

Thank you for uploading the 2 pics.

Yes,I have seen both the pictures.

This seems to be more an STD like genital herpes.Once you are infected and the initial infection resolves, you will harbor the virus in a latent form.During periods of stress or illness, the virus may get reactivate and hence you may keep on getting it reoccured in last 8 years.

You need to get examined & tested by your doctor. Lesion of genital herpes typically present as groups of small red bumps that develop into blisters.

So seeing the pictures,I advise you to make an appointment with your doctor to rule out/diagnose the condition & then accordingly the treatment will be done.Anti viral & other medications can be prescribed to treat it.

Hope this helped

Thank you.

Kind Regards
Dr.Josh

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have been married for 8 yrs. This has only been occurring over the past year approximately 4 times and always appears and is limited to the exact location shown in the picture.
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 8 months ago.

Dear customer

Thank you for replying back.

As this lesion keeps on getting reoccured after few months & is limited to the same location every time,this seems to be due to an STD like genital herpes.

Fungal infection rarely appear on same location everytime.Generally, a person can only get HSV-2 infection during sexual contact with someone who has a genital HSV-2 infection.Any type of skin-to-skin contact, however, is capable of spreading herpes.

Hope this helped

Thank you.

Kind Regards
Dr.Josh