Dr. S. Attili
Dr. S. Attili, Dermatologist & Dermatopathologist
Experience:  MRCP (Dermatology), Int. Board Certification in Dermatopathology
17493159

I have really bad scabs on my arm pits that are super itchy.

Customer Question

I have really bad scabs on my arm pits that are super itchy. When I itch them and pull the scabs off. They grow back over night. I tried to put olive oil on them to help heal them but it only helps a litte bit. When the scab is off it feels all pusy and looks red.
JA: The Doctor will need to help you with this. Is there anything else important you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: No
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. S. Attili replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I am Dr. Venkat Attili, Dermatologist and Dermatopathologist with over 10 years of experience in this field. I am here to assist you and will answer your questions to your complete satisfaction. Can you please upload a picture at your convenience?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sure. it might take some time. is that okay.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was wondering if I can send it to your phone because the picture is on my phone.

Sure. You can send it via whatsapp. But that service is a only available if you pay for one of our premium services. It would be cheaper to upload the picture here

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
here is the picture

Sorry, this picture is dark and out of focus. Can you try again in brighter lighting?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
here you go.

Sorry, these pictures are also dark and out of focus. Can you try again in brighter lighting? or maybe a better camera?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try again later.

ok, thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
here is the new picture. sorry for the delay

Sorry, these are all still the same - out of focus :(

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can you see the red area on the bottom right
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
here is one.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
here is a different picture. sorry

Better but still pretty poor quality. If you do not have a better camera, I shall just advise based on the information available. Is that ok?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you

Ok. The pictures and your history are suggestive of a fungal infection.

This is usually due to a yeast called candida. It is common in people who sweat a lot, and/ or in people who have diabetes.

Treatment is simple, in the form of two over the counter creams: 1% hydrocortisone & Clotrimazole. One has to mix both creams in equal amounts and apply them twice a day for 2-4 weeks to clear this up completely. Alternatively you can get Daktacort cream on prescription from your doctor, as that contains both ingredients.

If the infection does not clear up, one would need to get a prescription for a tablet called Itraconazole and take 100mg once daily for 14 days.

This is a harmless infection, but if your partner has thrush (a yeast infection too), she would also need to be treated or else you will just end up being re-infected.

To reduce the risk of re-infection the following measures also help:
Dry the areas carefully after bathing using a separate towel.
Do not share towels, sheets or personal clothing.
Avoid wearing occlusive or synthetic clothing.

Hope this helps. Do keep me posted & get back if you have any further questions or feel that I have missed out anything. Please do not hesitate to ask. I will be here to provide ongoing advice as necessary.
Best wishes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am allergric to hydrocortisone. Should I see a dematologist.

Ok. In that case, it is better to get a prescription for an alternative steroid like clobetasone butyrate. Yes, it is best that you see a dermatologist, if you have access.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank You have a great day.

Thanks & Same to you :)