Dr. S. Attili
Dr. S. Attili, Dermatologist & Dermatopathologist
Experience:  MRCP (Dermatology), Int. Board Certification in Dermatopathology

I have huge sore pimples on the back of my head, I have been

Customer Question

I have huge sore pimples on the back of my head, I have been diagnosed with foliculitious but no one can seem to give me anything to get rid of it, it's very painful and Iv been putting up with it now for around 7 years, I have been to a so called specialist and she informed me that the oil sack at the hair folicule was getting blocked, please help
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. S. Attili replied 7 months ago.
Hello. I am Dr. Venkat Attili, Dermatologist and Dermatopathologist with over 10 years of experience in this field. I am here to assist you and will answer your questions to your complete satisfaction. Can you please upload a picture at your convenience?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
This is best I can do
Thanks. Can you tell me what treatments you have tried so far?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
A shampoo, and a spray called activance, but usually I have to get anti biotics
Ok. Can you tell me what antibiotics you have tried so far and for how long each?
Do you suffer from acne?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I can't remember the name of the antibiotic, and I don't have acne
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
One of the doctors said it was foliculitious
It is indeed folliculitis which simply means infection of the hair follicles. However this needs long term antibiotics. I usually start of with Dapsone 100mg once daily, along with Clindamycin lotion twice daily and T-Gel (coal tar based) shampoo daily. This usually works. In resistant cases where dapsone doesn't work, I usually try a combination of Rifampicin 600mg daily along with Clindamycin tablets 300mg twice daily- for. 6-8 weeks.If recurrence after stopping the antibiotics is a problem, I usually prescribe a 4 month course of a tablet called Isotretinoin 0.5-1mg/Kg body weight/ day dosing. This is very effective.Please discuss these options with your doctor. Do not worry, this is nothing serious.Hope this helps. Do keep me posted & get back if you have any further questions or feel that I have missed out anything. I will be here to provide ongoing advice as necessary. Best wishes.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Can I get these in Australia?
indeed. But you will need to get your doctor to prescribe them.