Dr. S. Attili
Dr. S. Attili, Dermatologist & Dermatopathologist
Experience:  MRCP (Dermatology), Int. Board Certification in Dermatopathology
17493159

My scrotum and penis are always sticky/tacky feeling. It has

Customer Question

My scrotum and penis are always sticky/tacky feeling. It has become a huge problem
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. S. Attili replied 8 months ago.

Hello. I am Dr. Venkat Attili, Dermatologist and Dermatopathologist with over 10 years of experience in this field. I am here to assist you and will answer your questions to your complete satisfaction. Can you please upload a picture at your convenience?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
There is no rash or markings

ok. Is there a discharge of fluid/ whitish stuff? Is it itchy?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No discharge, nor whitish stuff, only sticky and itchy. Only things I can think of is that I changed the washing powder for my underwear and I've cut very short my pubic area

Ok. Sticky/ itching on the scrotum is usually due to a yeast infection called candida. It is common in people who sweat a lot, and/ or in people who have diabetes.

Treatment is simple, in the form of two over the counter creams: 1% hydrocortisone & clotrimazole. One has to mix both creams in equal amounts and apply them twice a day for 2-4 weeks to clear this up completely.

If the infection does not clear up, one would need to get a prescription for a tablet called Itraconazole and take 100mg once daily for 14 days. At that stage, I would also suggest substituting the cortisone with a prescription strength steroid like mometasone.

This is a harmless infection, but if your partner has thrush (a yeast infection too), she would also need to be treated or else you will just end up being re-infected.

To reduce the risk of re-infection the following measures also help:
Dry the areas carefully after bathing using a separate towel.
Do not share towels, sheets or personal clothing.
Avoid wearing occlusive or synthetic clothing.

Also, you can get Candid powder over the counter. You can use this twice a day regularly, once the infection clears, to prevent recurrence.

There is nothing to worry about. This is nothing serious nor is this an STD.

Hope this helps. Do keep me posted & get back if you have any further questions or feel that I have missed out anything. Please do not hesitate to ask. I will be here to provide ongoing advice as necessary.
Best wishes.