Dr. S. Attili
Dr. S. Attili, Dermatologist & Dermatopathologist
Experience:  MRCP (Dermatology), Int. Board Certification in Dermatopathology
17493159

My baby has boil like itchy rashes on s body, what can i do?

Customer Question

My baby has boil like itchy rashes on his body, what can i do?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. S. Attili replied 9 months ago.

Hello. I am Dr. Venkat Attili, Dermatologist and Dermatopathologist with over 10 years of experience in this field. I am here to assist you and will answer your questions to your complete satisfaction. Can you please upload a picture at your convenience?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Attached he is too jumpy so couldnt gt a clearer pix

Sorry, the picture is extremely blurry. Can you please try again maybe when he is less jumpy/ sleeping, in brighter lighting?

Thank you

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Here are better pix

Thanks. It is difficult to be completely certain based on your images, but the rash looks like what is called atopic dermatitis, with secondary infection causing boils. How long has he had this for? Is he scratching? Have you tried any treatments so far?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
he is scratching and he has had it for a few weeks now, i bought an onintment which i apply but its not helping

What ointment is that?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Abf3 cream

Ok. That wouldn't work. This is most likely to be atopic dermatitis. You can read all about it here: http://www.dermnetnz.org/dermatitis/atopic.html

Please use Aveeno cream 2-3 hourly to prevent dryness of his skin. In addition cover up his bare skin as much as possible and apply 1% cortisone cream twice daily on all affected areas, until the redness/ itching is clear. However since he also has boils, I do think he needs a short 5 day course of antibiotics (cephelexin 62.5mg three times a day) which I suggest you see your doctor for. In addition you can give him benadryl syrup to help prevent the itching. Nothing to worry. It will clear up in a week or so. However, in order to prevent recurrence, I would suggest you keep using Aveeno cream regularly and also follow the general care measures given in the weblink above.

Hope this helps. Do keep me posted & get back if you have any further questions or feel that I have missed out anything. I will be here to provide ongoing advice as necessary. Best wishes.