dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology

I have a raised/puffy blotch of dull purplish & reddish skin

Customer Question

I have a raised/puffy blotch of dull purplish & reddish skin on the top of my foot at the "base" of my pinky toe. I noticed it because I started notice the underpart of my joint seemed tender when I would first wake up in the morning but otherwise the discolored patch of skin doesn't hurt or itch but it does seem to be getting bigger and becoming more pronounce... any ideas?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 7 months ago.

This is Dr. David

it could be a small bruise on top of your toe

which you could have gotten if you were wearing tight shoes or heels

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I certainly understand that being a logical response from the written description but I assure you it isn't a bruise. I've worn my usual, comfortable, well broken in footwear everyday for quite some time now. I'm now able to include pictures I believe so I will send a few. The last 2 that are at the same angle was showing how it reacted when I lightly applied pressure with a finger if that helps at all.

is the joint where the little toe connects to the foot sore there?

you could have dislocated the toe joint there or jammed the joint by stubbing the toe

you could have hit your little toe there in your sleep

I would use some ice on the area to help decrease swelling

it can take a few weeks to a few months for joint inflammation and bruising to get better.

you can try taking advil or aleve as well to help decrease pain and inflammation.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The joint only feels a bit swollen under the bottom part of my foot and it feels mildly tender but really not painful at all. And the discoloration and raised skin is exclusive to that patch on the top of my foot... I've just experienced a lot of bruising and swelling and dislocating in my life and this is nothing like that. The patch doesn't hurt to touch or anything it's just really worrying me because I've never seen anything like it before.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I should have clarified at the beginning that I have no way of saying with certainty that the sore bottom foot feeling with the first steps in the mornings is in anyway related to the discolored patch.

I bet it is a bruise of the toe joint there.

you can show it to your doctor

I bet they will say the same thing.

it could be some swelling of the synovial space or possible rupture of the synovial sac possibly

or it could be bad tendonitis in the foot there.

try the ice and NSAIDS.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I sincerely ***** ***** time and responses but I have to say I disagree with your recommendation to take NSAIDS when I am not in pain. Would you be able to help me put my mind at ease by getting a second opinion? Perhaps transferring me to another expert?

Expert:  khagihara replied 7 months ago.

I agree with Dr. David. Do you swear a tight shoe? If so, it affects the joint. Also your pinky toe is sifted to the next finger.

You should see a podoatrist.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for your response! and no tight shoes..I wear lightweight, flexible and wonderfully comfortable Columbia boots all winter and fall (and would keep wearing them if they weren't so effectively warm during the warm months) I actually like to slip my shoes on and off and keep them loosely tied most of the time.So you think it is a bruise or otherwise trauma related injury?
What does my pinky toe is sifted to the next finger mean?

I looked at the photos again. Your pinky toe is not sifted. Sorry about that. I think it is due to injury if you don't have any other bruises or bleeding problem.