khagihara
khagihara, Medical doctor
Experience:  Trained in the multiple medical fields for many years.
20084961

I have always had this mole or whatever it is on my head...

Customer Question

I have always had this mole or whatever it is on my head... is that what it is?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  khagihara replied 8 months ago.

It seems to be nevus sebaceous. It is a benign cutaneous hamartoma. You don't need to worry about it.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It says hairless in the descripti ok n of that. It looks like hair is growing out of it and also I don't have a bald spot. I just seperated my hair to get a picture of it. Is that still what it is?

It looks like syringocystadenoma papilliferum. It is a rare benign adnexal tumor. Even though it is called as a childhood tumour as it usually appears at birth, during infancy or around the time of puberty, it rarely appears in adults. Basal Cell Carcinoma (BCC) development has been reported in upto 10% of the cases. In the majority of the cases, there is a coexistent nevus sebaceous. Squamous cell carcinoma (SCC) may also develop, but much less frequently. Till now, only two cases of verrucous carcinoma in conjunction with Syringocystadenoma papilliferum, have been published. Ductal carcinomas which arise from Syringocystadenoma papilliferum have been reported as well. An ulceration or a rapid enlargement is indicative of a malignant transformation. Syringocystadenocarcinoma papilliferum is a malignant counterpart of syringocystadenoma papilliferum. The diagnosis is clinically suspected and histologically confirmed. Due to the risk of a malignant change, a prophylactic surgical excision, followed by a detailed histological examination, is the treatment of choice. Considering the size and the ulceration, an excision was done with a 1cm normal margin, but it proved to be histologically benign and a malignant transformation of the tumour was not seen, even after a follow up for a period of ten months. You should see a dermatologist to have a prophylactic surgical excision.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I don't understand what you are saying now....before it was a nevus sebaceous...now it's melanoma?

It is not melanoma but syringocystadenoma papilliferum. It is more likely than nevus sebaceous according to your photo. Syringocystadenoma papilliferum is benign, but it could be transformed to malignant one. You should have a surgery to remove it.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I will make an appointment tomorrow, but usually it is 3 months out before you can get in. I have had it forever.....I never really looked at it just thought it was a mile till I actually looked at it. It hasn't grown super fast....maybe a little over the last few years.

I don't see any malignant transformations now. Also the cancer grows very very slowly even though you have it. 3 months should be alright.