Dr. Captain
Dr. Captain, Dermatologist
Experience:  A family doctor, with medical and residency training in Boston, MA, patients of all ages and wide range of illnesses.
72350808

I've had this years... Just wanting to make sure it's

Customer Question

Hi... I've had this for several years... Just wanting to make sure it's nothing
Category: Dermatology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here is a pic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is this something I should worry about?
Expert:  Dr. Captain replied 1 year ago.

Hello!

Welcome to the JustAnswer.com chat dialog.

I am a Family Medicine doctor, board certified with active licenses and certification in Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynecology, as well as Integrative Medicine & Naturopathy, with advanced training in Neurology, Cardiovascular Medicine, Gastroenterology, Endocrinology, and Psychiatry. I am also well-trained in Functional Medicine. Perhaps most importantly, I consider myself a patient listener.

I have read your post and seen the image.

Would you prefer a summary answer to your question, or would you prefer more back-and-forth, where there will be a series of more questions and more details clarified?

Either way, I’ll do my best to take the appropriate time to help you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It doesn't matter...

The quick answer, is that the mark does not look worrisome.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good!! I've had it for several years!

if you're curious...

How to detect worrisome signs? Beware of the ABCDEs:

A is for Asymmetry; if one half of a mole or skin mark doesn’t match the opposite half.

B is for Borders; if the edges are fuzzy, irregular, jagged, or uneven.

C is for color; if the color is not uniform, or includes multiple shades of brown or black or pink or other colors within.

D is for Diameter; if the spot is larger than a pencil eraser – but some may even be smaller.

E is for evolving; if the spot is changing, it may be growing, and worrisome.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you don't think it's anything to worry about

exactly.

does it itch? is it painful?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no, nothing... It's fine...sometimes I just get in these moods where I worry over things!

That condition, my friend, is called human! Happens to us all :)

If, hundreds of thousands of years ago, the primate in the woods didn't worry about the rustling he/she heard near him, we would not be here today. anxiety is built into our blood! Unfortunately, sometimes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I agree!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does this one look ok to?

It is harder to see with the picture you've uploaded.

the image itself looks a bit blurry, on my end.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
M

Perhaps it is a clear image and the lesion is a bit on the fuzzy side. This one I would probably want to discuss in more detail, and with consideration of any risk factors for melanoma you may have, may want to look under a microscope (via biopsy)

I hope I have been able to help with your original question. It appears as though we're moving into multiple other questions. Have I been able to help you with your original question?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Maybe this pic is better

It is a better picture, yes. I still feel the same way. I would probably want to discuss in more detail, and with consideration of any risk factors for melanoma you may have, may want to look under a microscope (via biopsy)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok

Provided you don't have unusual or excessive risks for melanoma, I think you can feel ok about having this last one checked out. No need to feel anxious without need. That being said, melanoma is increasing in the population at very alarming rates, so I would certainly encourage you to have this last mole evaluated.

If you would, please click on EXCELLENT. My goal is to have only the best, ***** ***** patients, and believe it or not, we doctors don't get compensated at all if the responses are not rated favorably by our patients like you!

If you have any follow up questions, please don’t hesitate to ask for me in your question title.

Thank you! Hopefully, I’ll see you again soon.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had chatted with another dr a few weeks ago... This is what he said about the same spot

this "spot" you're referring to, is the last picture you sent? You have sent me several during this chat dialog.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the last one

I see. Well, I can certainly see that Dr's perspective. I tend to err on the side of caution when it comes to this format of patient care. I don't know your individual risk factors for melanoma, since I have very little history, so although I would like to reassure you the way the other doctor did, I would say that I (we, the other doctor included) lack the appropriate information to be able to reassure you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What are the risk factors?

That is a great question. But, offers a very long, complicated answer.

Was I able to address your original question to your satisfaction?