khagihara, Medical doctor
Experience:  Trained in the multiple medical fields for many years.

My fingers are peeling really bad. This seems to be

Customer Question

Hi my fingers are peeling really bad. This seems to be something that is happening frequently. They will heal, but then return. But this time they hurt so bad I can't bend my finger or touch anything because of pain. I have cut them accidentally because the skin is so thin. I wear gloves but this seems to keep happening.
JA: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Is there anything else the Doctor should be aware of?
Customer: I have been diagnosed with Rheumtoid arthritis. But I don't think this is it.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  khagihara replied 7 months ago.

Can you attach the photos here? How old are you? Are you a female or a male? How tall are you? How much do you weigh? Any weight change? Does anything make it better or worse? When did it start? Is it consistent? Is it getting worse? Any other symptoms besides the skin lesions? Are you aware of anything which might have triggered it? Any other medical problems? Any surgeries? Any medications including over-the-counter pills and herbs? Any family medical history?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
1) 50 year old female
2) 5'7"; 178 lbs
3 Yes I am loosing
4) I have not figured out what makes it worse, and it heals up only to happen again.
5 This particular time started several days ago but it has been off and on now for several years. It is getting worse.
The skin is peeling down and it hurts to bend them. And I have punctured the skin several times. I have on my right and left index fingers both thumbs. Right ring finger but in the crease on below 2nd joint on the palm side.
6). I do have high blood pressure which is coming down due to weight loss but still on medication. I do have problems with clotting. And recently I was told I have a small nodule on right lower lobe of lung, and a nodule on pancreas head.
7). I have been off my Embrell which is used for the R/A.
8) I am not aware of family history with this type problem.Hope this helps.

It could be exfoliative keratolysis. The cause of exfoliative keratolysis is unknown.

Exfoliative keratolysis does not improve with topical steroids, unlike hand dermatitis. You should see a dermatologist.

The following may be helpful:

• Protection from irritants
  • Emollient hand creams especially those containing urea, lactic acid, or silicone
  • Photochemotherapy.