Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have bumps on my penis base started as what looked like a

Customer Question

i have bumps on my penis base started as what looked like a in grown hair then where that touches the shaft i got another bump then a small cluster next to it now today another small dot. i went to my doctor monday and since i am military it seems as if it was a one way conversation that is looks like it could be herpes. i tried telling them i have been happily married for 9 years they told me that it can not show up for many months or year later. that just seems like a long time. they did draw blood and nick a small cluster with a razor and cotton swap it. results take 7-10 days so he i wait sweating bullets looking for more information of what it could be.
JA: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Is there anything else the Doctor should be aware of?
Customer: the doctor said if it wasn't herpes it was defiantly viral. i will say it is tender in my groin area by pressing down. could it be molluscum contagious or bacterial infection. he did give me a anti viral
JA: Our top Doctor is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Doctor in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Doctor until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Dermatology
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
added pics
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 8 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

The appearance of the sores could be herpes, but it is not definitely herpes. When I try to zoom in on the lesions, the image become blurry/pixelated. A couple of the lesions does look more like molluscum contagiosum, but it is not true for all of the lesions, although if the lesions were picked at, they could have developed into this appearance.

If it is herpes, it would be a primary infection. It would be unusual for a primary herpes infection to arise 9 year after an exposure. It is possible that someone can have periodic shedding of the virus without other symptoms, and then only have a noticeable sore 9 years later, but a primary infection would be very unusual 9 years later. If your wife had an exposure before you were in a monogamous relationship, it is possible that she has been having intermittent shedding from which you did not get infected and only developed a primary infection 9 years later.

I would note that studies that look at the risk of transmission of herpes in couples in which only one person is infected is about 5% per year, if the only intervention is to only have sex on days on which the infected person does not have symptoms. So, it would not be unusual for it to take 9 years for the uninfected partner to have a primary infection. At 9 years, the majority of the original uninfected partners would still be uninfected.

If I can provide any information or clarification, please let me know. If you can take a better picture of the sores that will allow zooming in on the picture, particularly the sore on image4, then I can make more comments.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.

If you would like my assistance with any future questions, I can be reached through my profile at www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-DrDLove/

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
That's the best pictures I have I cannot get better resolution. We had a child 4 years ago and she should have been tested for everything at our request when pregnant . So either se wasn't tested or she contracted in the last four years. Both of those I highly doubt. I understand you can only base this off a description and the pictures. Was the cluster in the picture the only sign that looks like herpes. When he nicked the top to try to get puss or fluid out barely anything came out they are very small and he only did that to the cluster They do feel uncomfortable hard to describe. What else could it be

If she was tested 4 year ago and was negative and the two have been monogamous since then, then this would be very unlikely to be herpes, because it is unusual to have a primary infection 9 years after exposure.

If not herpes, then molluscum would be the most likely cause, and molluscum is commonly in multiple lesions.