Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Skin on penis gets tight and also rips after sex sometimes

Customer Question

skin on penis gets tight and also rips after sex sometimes it is itchy and painful
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I got tested for STDs and nothing the urologist wasn't much help after sex and even with out sometimes the shaft gets red and swollen after a day or two the swelling goes down their is tightness on the foreskin too...this has been going on for about 8 months now
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dermatologists generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dermatology
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i have paid is the answer in email?
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 9 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Is there any current redness?

If so, could you attach a picture of the area of redness?

Do you know whether there was a scraping to look for evidence of a fungal infection?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i don't have a way to attach picture
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
its not always red...that comes and goes...how ever itchy....and sometimes even painful
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
there are these three small bumps on the shaft near the tip of the penis that flare up sometimes and can become painful. post sexual intercourse the skin gets swollen and cuts....then after a few days swelling goes away. the itchiness and bumps can flare on their own without intercourse
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
one last thing to add is their is an increase odor. not pleasant

The first concern in when there is redness of the penis that comes and goes is a fungal infection, which is why I ask whether there has been a scraping to look for fungus. A fungal infection also can be associated with a strong odor.

If I could see a picture, I could comment on whether the appearance is consistent with a fungal infection. Without seeing a picture or a previous scraping, it would be an option to try an over the counter anti-fungal cream, such as clotrimazole.

Intermittent redness also can be due to an inflammatory condition of the skin of the penis, although this is less common. We also would rather not treat for an inflammatory condition without first excluding the possiblity of a fungal infection, as the usual medicines for inflammation may make a fungal infection worse.

So, without further information, the best option to try without seeing a doctor again would be a trial of an over the counter anti-fungal medicine, such as clotrimazole.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i was prescribed clotrimazole cream. I applied it a few times but did not see results
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
what doctor can I see to help ?

It may take more than a few applications for the clotrimazole to work. It may take a week or two to completely control certain fungal infections. A stubborn fungal infection may sometimes require oral anti-fungal medicines, such as fluconazole.

Since the Urologist was not helpful, it would be appropriate to see a Dermatologist.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.

If you would like my assistance with future questions, I can be reached through my profile at www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-DrDLove/