dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

I have a bump on the shaft of my penis, it isn't round it is

Customer Question

Hi I have a bump on the shaft of my penis, it isn't round it is like a line and its flat
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Sure it isn't painful at all I can see it if I look closely it's whitish and it can get red if I keep checking up on it. I am sexually active but I practice safe safe with the same partner
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dermatologists generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 11 months ago.

Is it possible to forward a photograph? Thank you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Just added those files
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok I think the pictures uploaded

Thank you for the pictures. To my eye, this appears to be a lesion of lichen planus. I considered a wart. If you develop further growths it might be easier to differentiate the two. We do not know what causes lichen planus. It is not serious but is fairly common. while in most locations it itches, it tends not to itch on the penis. I would recommend trying Cortaid ointment three times a day for three weeks. If this does not work, I would recommend you consult with a dermatologist. In the office setting this would be rather easy to tell the difference, using a tool called a dermatoscope which is a special light/magnifier. Applying white vinegar to the lesion might help. If the area turns white, this would be indicative of a wart ( not always, since lichen planus might turn white too). Lichen planus is not contagious by the way.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok so this definitely isn't syphilis right?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
All the internet searching has me scared

No, i don't see anything suggestive of syphilis.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** common?

However, it would be a good idea test for that and hepatitis since lichen planus can go along with hepatitis ( rarely).

Lichen planus is not rare.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks a lot. You've put me at ease, the Internet had me directed towards syphilis

I would recommend testing to be sure.

This can be done at a health clinic, usually at no cost.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
but as I'm traveling for work it is hard for me to get to a clinic. But these bump or lesion to the naked eye doesn't look like any of the pictures I've seen of syphilis. I think I was freaking myself out.

Far more likely that it is lichen planus or perhaps a genital wart. However, Condyloma Latum ( a form of secondary syphilils) can develop in this area too. That is why, to be sure, I would recommend an RPR. I still think it is one of the first two though.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you. I will make sure I get that done as soon as I'm home from work.

Excellent idea. Good luck.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks I'll go buy cort aid but isn't that for itching? It doesn't itch in that area. Actually I don't feel anything
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Are these lesions asymptomatic

Yes, usually Lichen Planus does not itch on the penis. Genital warts are even less likely to itch. Cortaid is a topical steroid and has many other uses besides itch reduction.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
This lesion or bump is starting to go away now becoming smaller and smaller