Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Medicine doctor , PGCSD( Dermatology)
6740150

I found this small lump under my skin on my upper right

Customer Question

I found this small lump under my skin on my upper right thigh. I can feel it when I bring my hand over my thigh. I can't see it though and there is no color or swelling telling me that it is there. I don't know what it is.
JA: OK. The Doctor will need to help you with this. Is there anything else important you think the Doctor should know?
Customer: My knees have been hurting me as well.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 9 months ago.

Has lump increased in size with time?

For how long you have such lump?

Any other health or medical problems

Thanks

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The lump has not increased. I have had it for a couple months now. Since last Summer my knees have been giving me problems as well. I don't know if it is related. I noticed it about the same time as my knees. The lump feels hard but it doesn't hurt.
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for all these additional details.

Well, it could be related with lipoma, which is a subcutaneous, benign fatty growth.

These are firm (but usually they are movable) growths that can develop at any place on the body. They are very common and they are not cancerous or concerning. Occasionally they can cause discomfort.

Other possibility could be Epidermoid cyst. Usually, these are benign nodules that can occur anywhere on the body as well. Sometimes these can become inflamed and infected. As you don't have associated pain in thigh, so it doesn't sound to be infected.

From my clinical experience, i can say that it is not related with any serious issue. This is most likely benign cause and would not develop into serious issue. We come across such cases, in routine clinical practice.

It can be co-incidence that knee pain has started at the same time.

The most common cause for knee pain is- Arthritis, knee joint is most commonly involved joint in rheumatic diseases.

It could also be related with Tendinitis, It is the inflammation of the tendon in knee. Medical name for this condition is Patellar tendinitis.
This condition is treated with Ice packs, immobilization with a knee brace as needed, rest, and anti inflammatory medications.
You should take help from physical therapist. Physical therapy includes various modalities like - Short wave diathermy, Infra red , Wax therapy ,these will help you a lot.

Also exercise programs can rehabilitate the tissues in and around the involved tendon.

Please consult your doctor for clinical checkup and get appropriate management. If required, they may send you to Orthopedician for further management.

I hope this helps.

If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business