dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

About 2 months ago i started having lots of itching in the

Customer Question

hello about 2 months ago i started having lots of itching in the anus and urethra , i went to urologist and gastroenterology , and they both found nothing , even though all my labs showed nothing and the doctors said i dont have hemorrhoids , i still have itching in my anus ,
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 9 months ago.

``Thank you for asking your question. This sounds like a relatively common condition called Pruritus Ani. It is good that you consulted with a urologist to rule out urinary infections or ( if you are a male) chronic prostatitis.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i could have pruritus ani or prostatitis?

If you are itching in the anus: Pruritus Ani. The only way to tell whether you have prostititis would be a culture after a prostate message. If the culture is positive then you would have prostatitis. Presumably your urologist checked for this. I could not tell whether you have this ( frankly this is in the domain of the urologist. We dermatologist treat Pruritus Ani. As far as treating this: It is important to quiet down the area. Hopefully, you were tested for candidiasis. Candida ( yeast) can cause prolonged anal itching. Do you have a rash any other place?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I had in the urethra , now the urethra is less itchy and the anus , but the anus still itchy , I wasn't tested for candida , what is the test for that ?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
if I had candida yeast what is the treatment , ?

Test for Candida: culture or a scarping and looking under the microscope for yeast cells. Most cases of Pruritis Ani respond rapidly and completely to proper management. If yeast: a pill called Diflucan 150 mg. once a week and Lotrimin cream twice a day. The latter is over the counter.

Diet: Avoid irritating foods such as chocolate, nuts ( especially hazelnuts), cheese and spicy foods.

Bathing:Do not excessively clean the area. Do nut scrub. This can irritate the area.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
for the candida or Pruritus Ani should I go to a dermatologist or proctologist ?

I would recommend a dermatologist. We do KOH scrapings all the time, I am not sure about proctologist.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok thanks
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Koh? Means

Most dermatologists have treated a large number of patients with this.

You might try over the counter Lotrimin and if that does not work Cortaid 1% cream.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok

KOH scraping. The area is scraped and then a drop of KOH ( potassium hydroxide) is placed on the slide and examined under a microscope.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Oh ok

Toilet care: Tucks or cotton. Balneol lotion ( over the counter) may help.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks

Very welcome.