Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Here is my story: Background info: I am 19 years old. I am a

Customer Question

Hello all, my name is***** is my story:
Background info: I am 19 years old. I am a full time college student and work at a bank part-time. I’ve always been very healthy and athletic. Never had any kind of illnesses besides minor infections and sicknesses here and there. I did travel out of the country in July 15’ to Guatemala and got very sick from Salmonella. Once I got back I had an endoscopy in October 15’ after almost 3 months of non stop diarrhea and very bad stomach aches/pain. Just thought i’d mention this… Also, I noticed some very tiny bumps starting to form near my hairline, chin, and on my neck. Didn’t think much of it but it is part of this issue and later come to find out it is Molluscum Contagiosum.
On Wednesday December 9th 2015, I had just got home from work and getting a haircut so I decided to shave as I normally did about 3x a week. I was going to meet-up with some friends that night so I thought i’d shave to have a clean look. This is when hell started for me. I started to shave my mustache area right about my lips and under my nose. After shaving I noticed there were some red bumps that almost looked like a razor burn. I didn’t think much of it besides I shaved too closely and had razor burn. This is where it all began. I woke up the next morning with even more red bumps and even more red. I didn’t shave for a few days and decided to take a break from shaving until they went away. It started to get worse, and eventually spread to my entire face.
1st Doctor: December 17th, 2015. Called my primary doctor and scheduled and appt. with the first available PA to see what was going on because my doctor wasn’t available anytime soon. Went in and she told me I had irritated my skin by shaving and gave me Doxycycline 100MG (Twice a day) and Metronidazole Topical 0.75% gel. She said I would be back to normal in 3-4 days. I wish…
2nd Doctor: December 28th, 2015. My face was already worse and all red. I went to see my primary doctor and she said I had a very severe facial infection. I had finished all previous medication and did not work. She prescribed Minocycline 100MG (Twice a day) and Prednisone 10MG (4 pills a day all at once in the morning= 40MG). She also put in a referral to see a dermatologist that same day.
3rd Doctor:: December 28th, 2015. I went to see a PA the same day that specialized in dermatology. Now, 2 hours later, she said I didn’t have an infection and instead said it was a very bad allergy. She kept me on all the same medication and also added a topical medication Mupirocin 2% ointment. I used this for about 4 days and it made my face extremely itchy and seemed to be getting worse. So she then prescribed a different topical medication Mometasone Furoate 0.1% cream. She also gave me Fluocinonide 0.05% cream for some eczema that had developed on my hands.
4th Doctor: January 4th, 2016. By this time I was upset. Nothing was working and I wanted to see an actual dermatologist doctor. I went to see this dermatologist the following Monday. She said to stop all medication and prescribed me Dapsone 25MG tablets (Once daily for a week, twice daily for a week, then three times daily for a week) and Clindamycin Phosphate 1% Lotion. She said I have Pyoderma Faciale and Molluscum Contagiosum. She took a biopsy and confirmed the Molluscum. She burned some of the Molluscum bumps but they have seemed to be spreading just as fast as the redness. The burning was very painful so she sent a Lidocaine/Prilocaine cream to my pharmacy to numb my face when I would see her next time so she could burn off the rest but it was never used. I went to see her for about 4 straight weeks for follow ups. She also thought I could have HIV but I was tested and of course it was negative. She saw it kept getting worse so she suggested I go see her colleague for a 2nd opinion that has been in practice 25 years.(She has been in practice for 6 months…).
5th Doctor: January 28th, 2015. This guy saw me at my worst. My entire face was red and now the Molluscum had spread to even my nose, ears and back of my neck. He didn’t want to burn any of the bumps like the previous doctor and instead told me to stop the Dapsone. He gave me SMZ-TMP DS 800-160MG and Cimetidine 400MG. Nothing seemed to help and was getting worse. Went to see him 2 weeks later on February 12th and then he also added Ciprofloxacin HCL 500MG. He also froze some of the Molluscum bumps I had on my neck and on the back of my neck. They seemed to be spreading even more. I asked him about all the previous diagnosis’ and he said that it was definitely an infection and now just calls it “severe acne”.
PLEASE. PLEASE PLEASE. If anyone knows what this could be PLEASE contact me. I am desperate and willing to try anything. I have been given so many different medications and different diagnosis’ that I am tired of going to the doctors. I have been in the ER 3 times in January for anxiety and panic attacks that I have also developed because of this
Category: Dermatology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here are some before and after pictures. I had the clearest skin anyone could have. Then one day I woke up with this. PLEASE HELP ME! Any idea what it could be? It has ruined my life...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here are some more pictures. Some are out of order but you see how it keeps going fron worst to worst.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

I am sorry that no expert has yet responded, but it is likely because this is such a difficult case. It is difficult to resolve a difficult case that has baffled multiple doctors that were able to perform an examination based on review of pictures.

If there is biopsy confirmation of molluscum, then that clearly is part of the problem, but the areas certainly are very inflamed. It is common for such inflammation to be due to infection, but you have been used on multiple antibiotics without improvement, so it is more likely non-infectious inflammation. Since steroids have not been helpful, then another option would be a medicine that affects the immune system by a different mechanism, such as tacrolimus.

The other consideration when there is a condition that is persistent despite treatment by multiple doctors would be a consultation at a teaching hospital. The doctors at teaching hospitals have more experience in the evaluation of rare and unusual diseases, and it is reasonable to be evaluated in this setting when community specialists have been unable to diagnose or manage any condition.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any idea what it could be as far as a diagnosis so I can mention it to my doctor? Been to 6 different doctors and i've gotten so many different stories and none seem to know exactly what the redness is. Especially how it came from one day to another. I always had the clearest skin anyone could have and now I have the worst skin and nobody can seem to help me...

I do not have a better explanation than what you already have been told. There are people that develop inflammation of a molluscum infection, but I have never seen anyone with such a severe inflammation.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you think you can have other dermatology experts here give their opinion as well? I'm looking for possible diagnosis' so I can tell my dermatologist to take a biopsy for what is causing all the redness and why its not going away after almost 4 months of intense treatment which no results. It gets worse. I got this from one day to another on December 9th. There has to be a fix if it came so fast...

You do not need to tell your Dermatologist of possible diagnosis to support a biopsy. If you need to be suggesting diagnoses to your Dermatologist, then it would be better for you to see a Dermatologist at a teaching hospital, as I noted above.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What teaching hospitals do you suggest in Sacramento,CA where there are dermatologists?

The UC Davis School of Medicine would be the closest teaching hospital to you and is the sixth highest ranked hospital in California. The phone number is(###) ###-#### ***** you are interested in going to the highest ranked teaching hospital in California, it would be the Stanford Hospital, and the phone number for the out-patient Dermatology clinic is(###) ###-####