dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

Small itchy place on one breast seeming a little tiny bit

Customer Question

Small itchy place on one breast seeming a little tiny bit spread and I am breastfeeding but not near nipple instead on breast sloping near cleavage. It doesn't itch if I don't touch it but when i touch it maybe small cyst on skin
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 9 months ago.

Hello

Welcome and Thank you for your query posted.

My name is***** and being a Skin, Hair and Nail specialist I would be able to provide you with an appropriate solution to your concern.

Please note that my Goal is to provide you with an Excellent Service .

Before I answer your question I would like to get some more information:

Could you send me a photo of the condition at your convenience?

You can upload the photo on www.photobucket.com and send me the link

Other method of uploading photo or a file is:

1.Click the paperclip icon

2.Click the Browse icon

3.Click the Browse button

4.Select your file and click Open

5.Click OK

6.Click Insert

7.Click Save Changes on this page

Please note that the answer provided is for information purpose only and does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic

Can you feel a lump below ?

Please note that it is not necessary to send a photo

I would be able to assist you by getting more information :

Do you feel a lump below the itchy area ?

Do you have any discharge from the area?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks so much for the reply. There is no discharge, and the pink is fading back to the one spot that is about 1.5 mm. There is no lump and this is not approaching the nipple but approaching the cleavage. When I don't touch it, there is no itch. Kind of like--not to be gross--if you don't scratch a yeast infection in other areas then the itching ceases. There is no swelling, and no pain. However, I read that Inflammatory Breast Cancer starts out looking like an insect bite. I also read that breastfeeding can lead to mastitis...but is this symptomatic of that since there is no pain just this one spot on the breast that is itchy when scratched? If you scratch it, the pinkness is spreads. If you don't scratch it, the pinkness fades until it is barely perceptible, but you can still feel something kind of in the skin--not below it or hard. More like a very small cyst. You wouldn't even know it was there if it didn't itch when touched, or feel a little rounded when my finger grazes it to feed my son.

Thank you for the reply.

From the history and the description , this does not sound like any malignant or infectious condition.

It sounds more like a local area of eczema . Inflammatory breast cancer can start as an insect bite but the location 99 % of the time is the nipple area. In your case you do not have a lump below the area so it makes it more in the skin which can be just dryness with mild pink haze in it.

I would suggest you to apply Cortaid along with canestan lotion on the area for 10 days .

If it does not improve you can get prescription medication called Mometasone for the area.

I would suggest a breast self examination for the lumps or bumps and underarms every 6 months.

Do let me know if you have any further queries.

Looking forward to your reply.

Regards

Dr Pravin

Hello

I am awaiting a response from your end.

Do let me know . I would be happy to help.

Awaiting your response.

Regards

Dr Pravin