Dr. Pravin
Dr. Pravin, Dermatologist
Experience:  Senior Consultant MBBS DNB (DVD)
25843817

I have a conversation going on with dr pavin how do i i

Customer Question

i have a conversation going on with dr pavin how do i i carrry respond tp him/
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

Hello

This is Dr Pravin.

How may I help you ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello, basically i took your advice and i got the elidel cream yesterday, but i have a few issues about it. firstly how often should i use it and how long should i use it for until it works and my lips are healed. i have only been using it twice a day which is what the doctor told me but i dont feel like it is healing my lips as they are still getting very dry throughout the day so is it ok to use vaseline as well on top of the cream throughout the day like i usually do. Also my doctor gave me something called hydromol ointment, do you think this will be effective as well?
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

Yes, You would need to use Elidel cream once at night till the lips are healed. you should continue to use the cream for around 3 weeks after they are healed.

You can apply Vaseline or neutrogena lip cream over and above that .

If you are using vaseline or Neutrogena you dont need to use Hydromol . You can use either of them i/.e Vaseline or Hydromol ointment.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also i have noticed that the elidel cream has slightly irritated the redness in the corners of my mouth making them look a bit worse, should i be concerned , or is that because ive applied too much or something?
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your reply.

The Elidel cream can be diluted with the moisturizer and applied . It will reduce the irritation.

However , if the redness irritation does not settle in 1 week , you would need to apply Cortaid cream ( steroid ) based to heal the redness.

You should put a drop of Elidel cream. You may have used a little more than required .

Do let me know if you have any further queries.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how long do you think i will need to use the elidel cream until it starts healing my lips?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i understand that i have to use it 3 weeks after, but how long until it starts working?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok so i can dilute it with a standard moisturiser i use on my face?
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

You would need to use it for atleast 2 weeks to see a change on the lip inflammation.

You can dilute it with the standard moisturiser you use for your face. Vaseline is good enough.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

I have released the rating service application on your page.

Please do leave me a feedback for my opinion provided.

Regards

Dr Pravin

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry but you said that the redness inflammination should settle within a week otherwise i should use the different cream but you also said that i should use it for at least 2 weeks. i also meant how long until it starts curing the problem i have with the dryness in my lips, is it also 2 weeks?
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

Yes , it would take two weeks for the dryness to subside.

However , if it does not subside even a little within a week and it is still irritating you , then you should use the other Cortaid cream to help it heal faster.

Please do let me know if there is any confusion.

I will summarize it once again:

try Elidel cream for 2 weeks: The healing should happen in 2 weeks.

during the 1 st week of application of Elidel if the irritation and redness is unbearable Use Cortaid cream for one week to heal it faster. During that week when you apply Cortaid cream do not use the Elidel cream .

Hope I am able to me more clear on this subject.

Do let me know if you have any further queries. i would be happy to help

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thank you, ***** ***** i only able to get this cortaid cream on prescription?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is the cortaid cream just a hydrocortisone cream?
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

Yes , Cortaid is hydrocortisone cream safe during an acute inflammation of the lips area.

Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

CORTAID is available over the counter.

Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

Do you Agree with what I have mentioned ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do you know where i can purchase this cream, can i get it from boots?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i am not sure if i agree, im not the expert im just trusting your advice I dont have any idea of what i should be doing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but i am going to take your advice
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

You can get these creams Cortaid (Hydrocortisone ) from Boots / Tesco / Sainsbury pharmacy.

Do leave me a feedback on the rating service application I have released on your page . Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have just bought the hydrocortisone cream but i couldnt find the cortaid cream. It says on the packaging that I should not use it on the face and the person who sold it to me also said this. I would also like to say that it has been almost a week now since i have been using the elidel cream and i have seen no improvement in the dryness or the redness. In fact the redness has slightly got worse and my lips have got a slight constant burning/ irritating sensation all the time which was not there before.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i am really not sure about using this on my lips and mouth?
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

It may be mentioned to not use on the face without a physicians advise. However , if you have an inflammation on the lip and it needs treatment you can definitely use it for 5 days to reduce the acute inflammation that you have got.

Do stop Elidel cream for those 5 days .

Use Neutrogena Lip care balm two or three times a day .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
should i use this hydrocortisone cream on the lips as well for the dryness
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you saying i should stop using the elidel cream now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ive got better lip balms than the neutrogena one such as original petroleum vaseline in the tub and dr dans cortibalm
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

Yes

Stop Elidel cream for now.

Use hydrocortisone cream for now.

Use the lip balms you've mentioned .

Do let me know if you have any further queries

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok should i do the same and use it once at night?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also is this cream not used for the dryness then if you are saying to use my lip balms?
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

This cream is to just treat the inflammation burning and redness.

You would need to use the lip balms for additional hydration

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how would i treat the problem with the dryness which is the main issue i am concerned with?
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

The dryness will also resolve with the hydrocortisone cream .

The inflammation burning redness and dryness are all linked.

What I meant to say is that you cannot use Hydrocortisone for the rest of the life or on a regular basis to treat the dryness.

For now it is fine to use for a short while .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok then to confirm i will use the hydrocortisone cream for the redness and dryness on my mouth and lips for 5 days as well as the lip balms?
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

Yes correct

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ive researched it and it says i can use it up to 4 times a day or should i only use it once at night like elidel cream?
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

YOU CAN use it once a day to begin with and as an when you see that it is improving you can use it twice a day to three times a day for maximum 5 days.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok then thank you
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

Do you want me to release the rating service application so you can provide me a feedback ?

Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

Hello

I am awaiting a response from your end.

Do let me know . I would be happy to help.

Awaiting your response.

Regards

Dr Pravin

Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

Hello

I am awaiting a response from your end.

Awaiting your response.

Regards

Dr Pravin

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
well to be honest so far your advice hasnt helped so it doesnt make sense to give you feedback until i see results
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i appreciate that you are being responsive and you are trying to help
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i would just like to add that the redness in the corners of my mouth and under my lips is not irritating at all anymore and it is not dry but since i have started to use creams on it has got worse which is why i am concerned
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

Irritation is due to which cream in particular?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the elidel cream and the hydrocortisone cream
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

Let us review your case once again.

can you resend me a photo ? I will advise you what can be done .

Thanks

Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

Please do let me know if you have any further query.

I am awaiting a response from your end.

I would happy to help you.

Regards

Dr Pravin

Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

I am awaiting a response from your end.

I would happy to help you.

Regards

Dr Pravin

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i am sorry for the late reply i have been very busy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i would just like to add that i have been using the hydrocortisone cream for well over a week now and there has been no improvement in the dryness on my lips
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know this problem I have is very difficult to solve and i understand if there is nothing you can do but if thats the case i would like my money back as you have not helped me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also i would appreciate that you start giving me useful advice which is going to help as I am tired of wasting both my time on money on these products you have told me to use.
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

I do understand that you are having this problem for a very long time .

As the level of cheilitis or dryness is more intense in your case , I would suggest that you should use Hydrocortisone for one more week.

There is definitely no redness and inflammation as I can see in the latest photos that you have sent. It looks much better in terms of inflammation.

I would suggest that you should try the hydrocortisone for one more week . I would suggest you to use it 3 to 4 times a day if possible for 2 days and then once a day for the next 5 days. So basically increase the frequency of application.

However , if it does not improve then you would need a stronger prescription based cream called Mometasone cream on the area.

Your condition would definitely come under control and I am trying the best to solve your problem online.

I am following the protocol that is followed globally for this kind of inflammation.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok then thank you
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

Do you want to provide me a feedback for my opinion provided ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
im sorry but you are wrong just under the left side of my bot***** *****p i have an area of redness?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it was definitely not there before
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

Can you send me a photo of that area ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

Thank you so much for the photo sent.

The lip are is not looking very red .

The redness below the lip area is also a part of xerosis.

Application of over the counter Aveeno Skin relief cream will help heal the area.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks, ***** ***** just like to ask however how does the aveeno moisturiser/lotion differ from a normal one?
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

Yes the Aveeno Skin relief cream is different from regular moisturiser.

This rich, yet fast-absorbing lotion starts to work immediately to restore essential moisture so your skin looks and feels healthier. Formulated with ACTIVE NATURALS® Triple Oat Complex, it’s clinically shown to relieve itchy, extra-dry skin and moisturize for a full 24 hours. It’s also fragrance free, steroid free and gentle enough for sensitive skin.

Do you want to leave me a feedback for my opinion provided ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok then thank you
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

Thank you very much .

Do leave me a feedback for my opinion provided.

Regards

Dr Pravin

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would just like to say that I have been conducting research on my problems such as the redness and i have found that the creams that you said i should use such as the elidel and hydrocortisone cream will most likely irritate it and make it worse which is what it has done. I am also unconvinced that this aveeno lotion which i bought will help get rid of it. I think i am very much done with seeking your help now as the hydrocortisone cream hasnt improved the dryness at all and i have been using it for well over 2 weeks now. I am definitely going to see an actual dermatologist before making the mistake of trusting your advice again to use get the this other mometasone cream you have told me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i understand you are trying to help but my skin shouldnt be some sort of practise lab where i keep on having to buy and try different creams and products which dont end up doing anything, and even make my skin worse. I believe you shouldnt be giving advice unless you know for sure that it will help, as you have wasted a lot of my time and money, I should really ask for a refund but im not even going to bother, i will be sure to leave you feedback now which you have wanted so badly
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do i pay for your service every question you answer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have just checked my online banking and that is what it is showing??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it says i have spent a total of £237?
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 1 year ago.

I have not been paid anything as of now.

Do message the justanswer team to get your further details.

I have written all the best creams that are mentioned in our medical and dermatology guidelines to help your condition .

Our conversation is going on since 24 th of February 2016 and today is 16 th March 2016 and I have not been paid for the advise I have given you according to global dermatology guidelines.

I hope you can get help from your personal dermatologist.

I am opting out so another expert can help you and will opt out from this query.

Take care

Regards

Dr Pravin