DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Doctor
Experience:  Internal Medicine Physician
55099014

I have tried every acne treatment - topical to oral- since I

Customer Question

I have tried every acne treatment - topical to oral- since I was a child with no improvement until recently. About a year or two ago I got my gyno to prescribe spironolactone (100mg) for hormonal acne and it has worked wonders!! It took about 8 months to kick in (got worse before it got better), but the past 9 or so months I have been beyond pleased with the results. My life has completely changed for the better! BUT... I have read many concerning things about Spiro, such as it is hard on your liver and kidneys, has child defects should one become pregnant on it, and that it's a maintainance drug.. So as soon as I go off of it I'm back to square one. #1 are all of these things true? #2 if so, is what's a better solution I could be taking that has results this stellar but is safer?
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.

any other medical issues?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
PCOS
-Arnold Chiari Malformation : sleep apnea, migraines (both related to Chiari)
-allergic to minocycline (Solodyn)
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.

1)No. It is a very safe drug. You can take it long term. You will need to go off when pregnant though. It is a maintenance drug. yes. It doesn't fix any underlying cause. In you, the underlying cause is probably PCOS

2)metformin? Have you tried it?

Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for this question.

Please don't forget a positive rating. I appreciate it :)

If you have more question, just reply.