dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

It is me again, just realized I typed incorrectly what is

Customer Question

Hi it is me again, just realized I typed incorrectly what is going on with my daughter's finger nail.
Her ring finger nail is growing from the cuticle area however it is not attaching to her finger. And it looks very rough, not like a regular nail.
What happened she pulled some hanging skin on the side of her finger and it ripped off skin underneath her nail. Then this has been the problem.
I would like to send a picture of the finger nail before you make a diagnosis so you can accurately see what is going on.
Thanks so much
Suzyn
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 9 months ago.

This is Dr. David

yes, you can send a photo here

type a word in the textbox and highlight it

then select the "chain" icon above the textbox or the paper clip icon to upload a jpg

this opens a window where you can click next to the text box to select the jpg or pdf file on your computer to upload into JustAnswer

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Here are 2 pictures let me know if you need more. Thanks again

all nails grow from the cuticle.

it is short but it will grow in

but it takes time.

it looks like she might have ripped off her old nail.

the nail bed looks good .

how long has it been like this

how did she loose her nail to begin with? from an accident?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The issue: it is not attaching to the top of the finger, like a normal nail would attach. It is growing in like a shell. She injured it at least 4 months ago. She pulled on a hangnail and ended up ripping skin off from under her nail. and from then on it is hasn't been right. There was another nail that grew in however it wasn't attaching to the finger so we cut it off because it kept caught on things and in her daily activities. We have been waiting a long time to us so that is why I am asking. I have lost toe nails before from being a runner however they always grow back fine. Something seems different with this.

she may have ripped out her nail bed epithelial cells which keeps the nail close to the finger.

it might take months and years for the nail to get better and grow more flat.