Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

I have been struggling with recurrent outbreaks on my lips

Customer Question

Hello, I have been struggling with recurrent outbreaks on my lips since last November. I got an outbreak extremely bad that lasted two weeks, went away and recurred this January and currently still have it however it is much better but the blisters are still present on the vermilion border of mylips. They seem to become flare up when I eat, shower, and touching the area. I have been to multiple doctors that most thought were really bad outbreaks of coldsores but I knew this wasn't it and kept trying to look for a solution as the antivirals weren't helping. This doctor thinks it's impetigo but I still don't think it's that because it keeps flaring up and never seems to 100% go away. I always have the blisters around my mouth and I'm just running out of ideas of what it could be. I kept researching and I was wondering if it could be perioral dermatitis? I have pictures that I'd wish to show you as well.
I also have a minor rash on skin on top of my upper lip. Very itchy and dry. Chin sometimes also very itchy and tiny bumps under the skin. But mainly it's my lips that are extremely horrible with the outbreaksFirst image: got a regular coldsore, and more blisters started forming on the vermilion border and a week later that happenedSecond: became severeThird: covered my entire lips, doctor advised to put baking soda so that's why it's white I'm assuming.Fourth: went away and began to form blisters againFifth: blisters got more severeSixth: started to subside however managed to get a fever I'm assuming because I was extremely red7: got another outbreak bad again8: more severe9: scab formed again.10: peeled scab off and what it looked like (I know bad move)11: showered and got another outbreak. At the time I thought it was still coldsores so I was applying a coldsore gel that had a brown tint12: was healing, applied aloe Vera and this is what it looked like13-17: a few days later after applying aloe Vera18: how it looked the next day19: how it looks now (still have very dry lips and blisters on lip borders and find it difficult to laugh, smile.20. How it flares up when I eat/ shower and wake up from sleeping... Sometimes it's worse.Please help.Also, since I have no insurance I'm very minimal to have things tested. However, a doctor did perform a culture for herpes and that was negative. And also got a cbc and everything looked normal said the medical assistant. In addition I do not have it anywhere else on body.
Category: Dermatology
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Another pic of a mild flare up after I eat
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
They also seem to flare up when I wake up
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 9 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

It sounds like you have spent quite some time trying to get to the bottom of what is going on. I am sure that your previous doctors have thought of, and ruled out, all of the common and easily treatable conditions that could be causing your issues. Would you say this is a correct statement?

Well I think it might be time for you to take a very difficult, and bold, step to see if you can get some relief.

At this point I think the best thing for you to do would be to gather up copies of all your medical records and travel to a large University Teaching hospital. At an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.

The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near you.

I know that it is going to take significant effort on your part, but I believe that going to one of the "Medical Mecca's" is your best chance to – finally -- get to the bottom of what is going on.

Does this make sense to you?

I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned the top rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.

Thanks in advance,

Dr. Rick MD FACS