dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

I have been sick with an ongoing cold two weeks (I just got

Customer Question

I have been sick with an ongoing cold for almost two weeks (I just got over a body flu as well). I still have a very runny nose, sneezing, etc. A few minutes ago, as I was shaving, I noticed a small blister on the inner side of my calf, almost by my knee. It looked like a single chickenpox blister--small, fluid-filled, and clear. It was mildly itchy but it didn't seem to hurt, but it looked weird--like a viral blister of some sort (as opposed to a friction blister, skin reaction, or a hive). When I got out of the bath and dried off, the pressure from the towel burst it open. The area is a little itchy. What could be the cause of a single blister appearing out of nowhere? I am very worried about shingles or some other kind of weird infection, especially since I've had cold and flu symptoms for weeks. I was sore and tired for about two weeks, and was sneezing. That cleared up, and a few days later I developed a sore throat, sinus pressure and severe congestion, sneezing, and a very runny nose. I stayed in bed for four days. Like I said, it's slowly clearing up but the sneezing and runny nose has been lingering almost two weeks now. Then this single blister showed up and burst, so I'm really hoping it's not signs of shingles or other viral infection!
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 9 months ago.

Hello

Welcome and Thank you for your query posted.

My name is***** and being a Skin, Hair and Nail specialist I would be able to provide you with an appropriate solution to your concern.

Please note that my Goal is to provide you with an Excellent Service .

Before I answer your question I would like to get some more information:

Could you send me a photo of the condition at your convenience?

You can upload the photo on www.photobucket.com and send me the link

Other method of uploading photo or a file is:

1.Click the paperclip icon

2.Click the Browse icon

3.Click the Browse button

4.Select your file and click Open

5.Click OK

6.Click Insert

7.Click Save Changes on this page

Please note that the answer provided is for information purpose only and does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
This was after it burst. It itches around the area. Before it burst it looked like a chickenpox blister.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Here is another one:

Thank you so much for the reply.

From the photo and the history that you have provided , it does not look like shingles nor does it look like herpes.

It looks like a boil caused by bacterial staphylococcus.

Do not worry . It can be go with over the counter application of Neosporin ointment twice a day for 15 days.

It will go away completely.

Do let me know if you have any further queries.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The skin area surrounding it is still very itchy! How do you contact this? (So i can avoid it! )

It is an infection of the hair follicle that can come from contamination from any surface. It can also occur due to contact from shares towels .

You need to take a shower with a good anti bacterial soap like Soapex which you can get over the counter.