Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

My daughter as a herpes outbreak, it started with a coldsore

Customer Question

My daughter as a herpes outbreak, it started with a coldsore but now its all around the mouth what should we do? Het immune system is low because she had surgery two weeks ago ACL reconstruction
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 10 months ago.

Hi and thanks for the query.

Herpes can break out when the immune system is low and this happens every time the body is in stress, whether physical or mental. Surgery is a major stress on the body and this stress can lower immune system and cause herpes outbreak.

Since, herpes is a viral condition, it is self limiting. Nothing much needs to be done except for supportive treatment. If she is having pain then application of lidocaine gel and an anti inflammatory like Ibuprofen 200 mg thrice a day will be sufficient.

Do make mention of this to her doctor over the phone and ask him/her if a visit is required for nerve membrane stabilizers like Gabapentin or Pregabalin which provide very effective pain relief in herpetic sores.

Hope this helps.
I only get paid for my work on this site if you rate this answer by using the star system on the top of your screen. The conversation can be continued even after the rating.

Best wishes.

Expert:  DrThomasMd replied 10 months ago.

Hello

A severe outbreak that is progressing needs acyclovir.

Or, valacyclovir.

This will limit the outbreak.

Her doctor needs to prescribe this.

I am a double board certified US doctor.

Find me in medical anytime.

I am here daily.

Please click a positive on this answer page.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Please do leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.

Wish you good health.