Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I have got red spots of all different sizes all over my body

Customer Question

I have got red spots of all different sizes all over my body my wife has the same we are taking antihistamines given by our doctor but they are not working we are just seeing new spots everyday
Category: Dermatology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
some are like red clusters of bumps of different sizes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they are not very itchy through the day but get quite itchy at night
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

Hi and thanks for the query,

This could be scabies as itching at night is characteristic. I would suggest you should get antiscabies lotion available as permethrin over the counter. Both of you should apply this from neck down area after taking a bath at night and keep it for 24 hours, repeat the process after 2 days again. Meanwhile wash all the bed linen and under wears and press it with iron upside down. As scabies is contagious so keep yourself away from others.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Please do leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.

Wish you good health.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

Hi and thanks for the query,

This could be scabies as itching at night is characteristic. I would suggest you should get antiscabies lotion available as permethrin over the counter. Both of you should apply this from neck down area after taking a bath at night and keep it for 24 hours, repeat the process after 2 days again. Meanwhile wash all the bed linen and under wears and iron them inside out. As scabies is contagious so keep yourself away from others.

Wish you good health.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't think it's scabies because the doctors first gave that lotion about 3 week's ago and it hasn't worked is there any tests we can get done to determine what this kind of raised red spots is because on the Internet we have seen so many similar pictures of spots but all seem to have different names
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

It is very difficult to evaluate rashes without actually having seen them. That's a limitation on internet consultations.

Tests are generally non specific in case of rashes and only augment the clinical diagnosis. With scabies the signs are obvious. It is difficult to get rid of scabies all at once. Sometimes, the lotion has to be applied two to three times with an interval of 48 hours. The linen and all the clothes worn during that time, bed sheets etc have to be washed and dried out in the sun and ironed inside out like I mentioned, still there remains a chance that the parasites have laid their eggs somewhere which cause recurrence.

Viral rashes do not last for 2 weeks without having any other symptoms like fever, cough, cold etc. Heat rashes also do not last this long. Fungal rashes are very itchy all the time and usually occur on moist places and body folds. The most likely diagnosis here is scabies. I would suggest that you pay another visit to your doctor and have the rash re evaluated. Try examining your finger webs for any burrows the parasites might have left in case this is scabies. Also, I would advise that you leave your mattress out in the sun for a day and use anti flea agent around the bed to rule that out as well.

Hope this helps.
I only get paid for my work on this site if you rate this answer by using the star system on the top of your screen. The conversation can be continued even after the rating.

Best wishes.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 1 year ago.

Please do not forget to leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.

Wish you good health.