How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Nair Your Own Question
Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Category: Dermatology
Satisfied Customers: 9190
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)
Type Your Dermatology Question Here...
Dr. Nair is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a red splotchy looking rash on my underwear line. It

Customer Question

I have a red splotchy looking rash on my underwear line. It itches and unless I keep it dry(I've been using gold bond) it splits and can bleed a bit. There are no boils, raised skin or pus. It does not smell either. It looks like raw skin. What can I use to treat it?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 1 year ago.


Welcome to Justanswer website.

Myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern

  • Since how many days you have this rash?
  • Is your blood sugar level normal?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've had the rash for a couple weeks now. My blood sugar is normal, I've had blood work recently. I've also tried a diaper rash cream but it stung very badly so I took it off. The powder seems to have helped, the size of it hasn't gotten bigger. It does look like raw skin, and it's all one color.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is getting more irritating and seems to be developing on both sides on my underwear line now, instead of just the one like before. I'm getting concerned and am trying to see a dermatologist but no one in my network has time until next week. I would like to know what I can do to make this more bearable or fix it
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 1 year ago.


Thank you for your question. My name is***** and I will do my best to provide a useful input.

What you have described sounds like either a fungal (tinea) or yeast (candidiasis) infection - both are often caused due to prolonged sweating and occlusion in the skin flexures.

Here is an over the counter regimen that can help:

1% Clotrimazole cream: Apply over the rash twice a day for 14 days. If the lesions don't look better in 3 days then mix Cortizone-10 cream with the Clotrimazole in a 1:1 ratio and apply twice a day.

Tab Claritin 10 mg once or twice a day for 14 days depending on the intensity of the itching or burning.

Zeasorb-AF powder dusted over the area twice a day: noon and early evening. This is better than Gold Bond powder. Continue for 4 weeks. Thereafter try and keep the affected areas as clean and dry as possible.

The most frequent cause of frequent recurrence of the condition is inadequate treatment. Clinical cure means when the symptoms stop, whereas mycological cure is when the fungus/yeast is eliminated. Clinical cure occurs before mycological cure and most patients stop using the antifungal medication. As the fungus is not eliminated this leads to a recurrence a few weeks later. Therefore it is important to treat for at least 14 days even if the condition looks like it has resolved earlier.

All of the above are available over the counter.

Please feel free to ask if you have any queries. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.