Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)
40004158

Im on my first dose of Depo provera and it is making me

Customer Question

Im on my first dose of Depo provera and it is making me break out on my face alot, is there anything i can use to clear this up? Or do i have to wait till its out of my system.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is***** and I will do my best to provide a useful input.

Are the acne red and bumpy or more blackheads/whiteheads?

Have you been on any birth control pills in the past - if so what effect did they have on your acne?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
They are red and bumpy and inhave never been on any other birth control. I dont take any medications either. Not allergic to anything, just healthy.

Thank you for the information. Okay MDPA (Depo Provera) is well known to cause acne as a side effect in some women. This can settle down in 2-3 months with continued use or sometimes not. For these 2-3 months I would recommend recommend asking your dermatologist for something like Duac gel to use twice a day on the pimples. Spironolactone can be started orally for a few months as well. If this is not possible then here is an over the counter regimen you can try:

DCL B Prox face wash - use to wash face twice a day. Lather on, leave for 15-30 seconds, and then wash off. Follow this with Ducray Keracnyl cream - this might sting a little bit for a few seconds but that’s normal. At night apply Neutrogena On the Spot Anti Acne cream over the entire affected areas 5-10 minutes after the Keracnyl cream. This should be applied as a thin layer without rubbing. Orally Capsule Lumitene 30 mg twice a day after meals can help.

Give the regimen 2-4 weeks to work. If it helps and then you can further improve it by applying a Retinol cream like Avene Triacneal cream at night and using the Neutrogena cream in the morning. At that point you will need additional moisturizers for your skin since both products can dry/irritate the skin - Sebamed Clear Face Care Gel is a good choice. Sun protection is important and the Cetaphil Dermacontrol SPF 30 is an excellent product to use in the day time. You can continue this final regimen for as long as you like.

Lastly dietary recommendations - cut down on dairy products, processed foods, junk foods and anything which is too sweet or oily.

Please feel free to ask if you have any queries. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.