Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

My problem began with my mother and spread to my uncle and

Customer Question

My problem began with my mother and spread to my uncle and myself. I have a crawling sensation in my face, neck, and ears. I have no rashes or itch what so ever. My derm believes it was Demodex and has prescribed me oral ivermectin 18mg once a week, permethrin 5% once a week, and ivermectin lotion .1 nightly applied to face, hair, neck, and eye lashes. I even clean my eyes twice a day with a scrub pad recommended by an eye dr. The crawling began to get worse after taking the oral ivermectin. I began to feel the crawling sensation soon after and it has spread all across my body but mostly on my face, neck, ears, and upper chest. This only happens when I take the oral ivermectin or apply the ivermectin lotion. The sensation was mostly at night but after 3 weeks in this regimen I now feel them crawling during the day and night. Sometimes I can feel a biting sensation in my cheeks next to my mustache. I also shower with tea tree oil. What can I do to make this go away? Do I need to up my oral ivermectin? I wash my sheets and pillow cases every night. I have even pulled a hair out my arm and watched it move across the mirror I laid it on. I was diagnosed with Demodex as scabies was ruled out early on. Is it possible it's another mite or is this normal during treatment and the feelings will subside? I have no marks or rashes but I can feel them crawling as I type. They immediately surface when I apply the ivermectin lotion or take the oral ivermectin.
Category: Dermatology
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Email response preferred.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 10 months ago.

This is Dr. David

do you have a history of excessive anxiety disorder? this can cause sensations of crawling on the skin.

you need to moisturize all the skin on your body after you shower daily.

you should use Dove moisturizing soap to wash.

have you had your thyroid hormone levels checked? abnormal thyroid hormone levels can cause itching skin.

do you have any other questions?