Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)
40004158

My hair has thinned significantly and rather quickly and im

Customer Question

My hair has thinned significantly and rather quickly and im wondering why and what if anything i can do about it? Ive noticed strangely That when i smoke marijuana my hair these days seems to thin significantly over night! But then not smoking it for days to weeks, causes my hair to thicken and be more full again! Why would this happen? Ive been smoking marijuana for decades yet this thinning phenomenon hasnt started to happen till recently this past year the past 8 months ( this summer my hair was as full thick slooth straight and healthy looking as ever) but mow it seems to be very thin and delicate Sometimes its good and other times its bad but to a pretty extreme extent !! What can be causing this? Something in the weed maybe temporarily cloggingy hair follocles to the point of my hair thinning and seeming as if i have male pattern baldness when they clogged? My haut line still as it always been not receding at all in any way yet its sometimes thinning a lot but then it seems to recover ? My father is not vald none of my fathers brothers either my grandadthers both of them wete not bald alltho my mothers father had very thin hair for a pretty long time but he is now 90 and still has hair but very thin buy still enough to get haircuts bi weekly
fathers father died at 81 wuth full head of hair mothers father 90 still has hair not as much as fathers father but he still has hair
His two sons have hair not full like they did at my age but they still have hair
My cousins all have hair except fo two of my cousins on my mothers side if that myth that baldness comes from mother side true any help and advice and info appreciated
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is***** and I will do my best to provide a useful input.

Would you be able to take a photograph of the top of your head and hairline? Let me know if this is a problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i can should i shave my head and do this or donit with my hair as is right now i havent gotten a hair cut in a month and last time i cut it i shaved my head using a buzzer barber used a 3 or 4 mm length clip. Also how do i go about uploading pictures? And how should i go about taking pic of my not receeding as it looks to me hairline? Sorry if im being to detailed jn how to take simple pictures
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I took pictures how do i upload them?
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 1 year ago.

If you can transfer the photographs to your computer then the fastest way to get a picture to me is to upload it to the question box by clicking on the paper clip or tree icon in the question box toolbar. This toolbar does not display in google chrome and safari so an alternate browser may be required. You can also upload them to any free photo hosting site like picasa or photobucket and send me the link if you prefer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
http://s328.photobucket.com/user/emp174/library/?view=recent&page=1
Will you be able to see pics without entering my email and password?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i transfered photos but still no response ?
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

Apologies for the delayed reply - was traveling from the 25th to 28th, have just come managed to log in and see your responses.

So personally I have never seen cannabis being a problem with regards ***** ***** thinning in my practice. Still I just spent some time looking for any scientific information on this subject and have not managed to find any. There are just differing opinions on non-medical websites and blogs of dubious reliability.

You definitely have thinning of hair on top of the scalp. Your frontal hair line is maintained. To me this looks like a special type of Male Androgenetic Alopecia (MAGA) where the hair thins out without affecting the frontal hair line. This can affect anyone - even people with no family history of the problem as in your case.

Medical treatment is quite effective for early MAGA as in your case, and consists of 5% Minoxidil (Rogaine) lotion to be applied on the scalp (1ml morning and evening) on a daily basis. Hair regrowth starts 3-6 months after regular treatment, then continues for 18-24 months in which time you can expect to regain up to 40-50% of the hair you've lost in the last couple of years. However to maintain the regrown hair Minoxidil lotion has to be continued & this can be done safely for however long you desire.

Tab Biotin in a dose of 5-10 mg per day is a hair specific vitamin and helps hair regrowth.

I would also suggest using Nizoral-AD shampoo daily every alternate day. Lather in and leave on the scalp for 5 minutes. Follow this with a good conditioner. Nizoral-AD helps minoxidil work better.

NOTE: All of the above can be bought without a prescription.

If you have access to a dermatologist then adding Tab Finasteride 1 mg per day to the above regimen can further improve results. This will require a prescription.

Please feel free to ask if you have any queries. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.