Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine
61817858

47 yo wf family hx of melanoma a mole under my bra strap got

Customer Question

47 yo wf family hx of melanoma a mole under my bra strap got irritated and painful pink better now but I wonder should I be more worried about it or the other moles byw I'm going to doc Wednesday
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
Hi there. Do you have a smoking history?
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
Also, what is the approximate size of this mole?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No smoking. The mole is just smaller than a pencil eraser
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 1 year ago.
So the size, color and lack of smoking history would favor something benign. And benign lesions far outnumber malignant ones. When a lesion is cancerous, it is statistically most likely to be BCC (basal cell carcinoma) which invades locally but does not normally metastasize. These can be easily removed or frozen. The danger, of course, would be if the lesion is SCC (squamous cell carcinoma) or melanoma. Your family history would increase your risk of this somewhat. The fact that the lesion has changed (i.e. is now irritating and painful) is also an important factor suggesting at least inflammation if not infiltration. Even when the risk of such a lesion being cancerous is low, it does not make sense to take a chance and ignore it, or wait to have it evaluated. It is always preferential to have a growing or changing skin lesion looked at by a primary care doctor or dermatologist. If there is any doubt, the lesion can be biopsied and the appropriate treatment started right away.