dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

Skin rash/stiffness/irritation during Fasting / Ketosis I

Customer Question

Skin rash/stiffness/irritation during Fasting / Ketosis
I was on near-fasting for 6 days. <600 calories a day(Predominantly Fat). Ketosis triggered in 3rd day. Ketosis level went on to 16mmol/L measured in Ketosis urinary test strip.
On 6th day, rashes appeared on my face - more on the chin and around mouth. It's like very minute boils and skin looked very stiff. Red rashes appears around neck / shoulders as well.
I have done 5 days water fasting twice before and same rashes appeared. This went off when I started giving carbs, in 3 - 4 days. Some say the rash is due to toxin going out of the body via skin. But I'm unsure about this. I want to do a 6 weeks fasting/ketosis. I have recently developed scalp psoriasis and believe long fasting / ketosis can improve this condition. Please can you suggest if this ketosis induced rash is harmful or not.
I'm expecting an helpful answer rather than 'Stop Ketosis/Fasting'. I have stopped Ketosis /Fasting 3-4 times due to this but want to do Ketosis again for detoxification/ help in scalp psoriasis healing.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 10 months ago.

Hello

Welcome and Thank you for your query posted.

My name is***** and being a Skin, Hair and Nail specialist I would be able to provide you with an appropriate solution to your concern.

Please note that my Goal is to provide you with an Excellent Service .

Before I answer your question I would like to get some more information:

Could you send me a photo of the condition at your convenience?

You can upload the photo on www.photobucket.com and send me the link

Other method of uploading photo or a file is:

1.Click the paperclip icon

2.Click the Browse icon

3.Click the Browse button

4.Select your file and click Open

5.Click OK

6.Click Insert

7.Click Save Changes on this page

Please note that the answer provided is for information purpose only and does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Relist: Other.
I'm looking for someone who knows ketosis / fasting and it's effects on skin please.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Relist: Answer quality.