Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)
40004158

I am simply online trying to figure out the skin problem

Customer Question

I am simply online trying to figure out the skin problem that is occurring ony husband's head. He wears a bald head so it is all very obvious.
Category: Dermatology
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Some areas start as white, pusy bumps and then pop.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
additional photos
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
photos
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is***** and I will do my best to provide a useful input.

This looks like a bacterial infection of either the skin or hair follicles - the former is called Impetigo while the latter is called Folliculitis. They both are caused by similar bacteria and respond to the same treatment - that would be a 5-7 day course of an oral antibiotic like Dicloxacillin 500 mg three times a day along with 2% Mupirocin cream applied twice a day on the affected area for 10-14 days. His doctor would be able to prescribe these for him.

If he cannot see a doctor in person then I would suggest washing the affected area with an antibacterial soap like Dial or Hibiclens while bathing and applying Bacitracin ointment twice a day on the sores till they heal (10-14 days). Both of these are available over the counter without a prescription. Tablet Advil 400 mg or Tablet Claritin 10 mg can be taken once or twice a day after meals as required for pain or itching respectively. He should avoid activities which involve heat or sweating and not wear any cap for the next week or so.

Please feel free to ask if you have any queries. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
where does it come from?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
is it contagious?

It is contagious. One can pick up the bacteria from anywhere but common places are the barbers and gymnasiums.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
my husband does not go to the barber nor is he in the gym. he shaves his head with a razoe. just the concern of catching it again. so important not to touch it. can spread like ringworm?

As I said one can pick it up anywhere really. An infected razor is also a common cause if it has not been kept clean. Yes it important not to touch it - one can transfer it other parts of the scalp or body through the fingers if the infected area is touched. Ringworm is actually less contagious.