Dr. Nair
Dr. Nair, Dermatologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology)
40004158

Does the color under my nails look abnormal? (see Pic)

Customer Question

Does the color under my nails look abnormal? (see Pic) Notice the line near the nail tip. All my fingers nails now have this. Did a non insignificant amount of drinking alcohol over the Christmas to New Year week, and noticed these new 'features'(as far as i recall). Significant? Insignificant? Drank 7 days strait, felt quite horrible by the 6th day, haven't drank since and felt fine by 2nd day not drinking. Normally only drink once a week. Have no real abnormal symptoms. I typically only drink spring water, and the only thing I've drank besides that is a few glasses of unsweet tea and green tea, besides that nothing but water to drink. One note, I don't have any memory of doing so, but some times my friends and I can rough house a bit when drin*****, *****'t think that is the case as the features are all nearly identical on on finger nails. I've become concerned as I recently came across a article talking about nail condition being indicative of underlying health issues sometimes.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Nair replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is***** and I will do my best to provide a useful input.

Took a look at the pictures - your fingernails are normal. The line you are talking about towards the free edge of the nail is normal and corresponds to something known as the onychodermal band. This can become more visible in the winters or cold exposure or on its own. There is no correlation with drinking. Don't worry about it.

Please feel free to ask if you have any queries. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.