Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

My concern is I have developed some skin lesions over the

Customer Question

Hi there,
My concern is I have developed some skin lesions over the last week which start out as a small red spot (kind of like a red pimple but no head) and develops into a larger red spot, I have three bigger spots and smaller ones around the area of the larger which have popped up today... the larger ones do become scaly and peel in the centre, however I can not say that they are itchy or painful, when I rub my finger across them they feel raised and slightly indented in centre (the ones which have scaled and peeled).
I am currently breastfeeding my 7 week old baby and my biggest concern is that there is one of the larger ones on my breast (areola area) and two smaller ones which have popped up and im concerned my baby may catch it if in fact it is contagious, I have seen a GP when I first noticed the spots and they were smaller who had no idea what it is and asked me to apply Crystacide on the, a few more have popped up since I saw her, I am otherwise healthy no fever or any other complaints health wise.
Would greatly appreciate your opinion on what this could be.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 10 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

what part of your body are they on?

Can you upload a picture?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi there, thank you for your response.They are predominantly on the upper half of my body, on my upper left side under where my bra strap would go (one larger one in this area) and a few small spots around that one looking as though new ones will form.Then there is a larger one on my left breast (areola) with a smaller one next to it, and there is another on my right forearm with a small next to that.There also seems to be a tiny one pop up just above my lower back (small spot)I do not have any medical conditions and am otherwise healthy (sleep deprivation aside having a newborn baby).I have not been on any medication since I have my C Section surgery to deliver my son who is now 7 weeks old (first baby).He is solely breastfed, and one of my concerns is that there are one of these lesions on my breast.I have attached a couple of pictures, let me know if you need me to provide more information or more/better images.I look forward to your response.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I should mention that they have become just this evening very mildly itchy.

Thank you for the pictures....

I do not believe that your child is at risk from these lesions.....

On the other hand, I have to agree with your GPs diagnosis: I don't know what they are. :(

Yes. I could give you a long differential diagnosis list of what they possibly are....but that is not really going to help you much. I can tell you this much, I do not believe that they are a sign of anything serious.

So. What should you do?

1. The only way to get to the bottom of what is going on is to see a dermatologist in person. After examining you she may want to do some simple blood work, obtain a scraping or possibly even do a small biopsy of one of the lesions.

2. Don't panic. Once a concrete diagnosis is established I am sure this can be fixed with no long term issues to you or you baby.

Does this make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi again,After doing some research online I believe I may have Pityriasis Rosea or Psoriasis, thing is I have not had Psoriasis before but since having my first baby 7 weeks ago could hormones be playing a part?Since the rash seems to be slowly spreading I'm thinking it could be viral? I know I shouldn't be playing doctor Google but with the Pityriasis Rosea it mentioned can appear on the breast and I do have a larger lesion with a few smaller ones sorrounding the area.When I get hot they seem to become more inflamed when it's hot.I have attached updated images. Please review them.1st image is on my forearm
2nd is on my side of chest
3rd is on my breastI went to see another GP who also couldn't pin point what it was (she was rather young) but thought it could be either Psoriasis or Fungal infection, I've had scraping tests sent away but this will will take atleast two weeks to get results I was told.Any thoughts on this? Do you think it could be what I have mentioned?

Thank you for the additional pictures. It looks like you are scratching at some of the lesions :(

Yes. Hormone changes in your body could very easily be playing a very large part in the formation of these skin lesions.

You could have a systemic viral infection as The Great and Wonderful Dr. Google has mentioned but that is less likely.

While Dr. Google is All Knowing And Wise your best bet is to consult with a Humble Human trained in the Arts of Dermatology so as to get a correct diagnosis and treatment plan.

Does this make sense to you?

And congratulations on the new addition to your family. My oldest daughter is due in 2 weeks with our fourth grandchild.....

Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

I wish you the very best.

If you have a chance drop me a note and let me know what the doc (the human one ;) says.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Dr Rick, I have been away so have not had a chance to get back to you, the rash had since spread speaking to you, I went and saw another GP (I've seen 3 different ones now!) and she believes it Pityriasis Rosea and those pitches I initially showed you were herald patches as they are now the largest of them all, I am waiting to see a Dermatologist I'm on a waiting list from a referral for a few weeks so I wanted to ask you for your advice on how I can treat this? It's very uncomfortable at night and since its summer where I live at the moment it get hot and itchy. I have been bathing in Epson Salts and sun bathing a little the last couple of days to try help clear it up which seems to help dry them out. Any advice from you would be greatly appreciated!!!