Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Medicine doctor , PGCSD( Dermatology)
6740150

I have bumps that appear randomly, persist week, and then

Customer Question

I have bumps that appear randomly, persist for a week, and then burst and go away.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 11 months ago.

Hello

Welcome to Justanswer website.

Myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern appropriately.

On what part of body does these bumps appear?

Since how long you have these bumps that come and go?

Are these bumps pus filled?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
One on the lower left side of abdomen, another on upper thigh, and the most recent is on my back near left arm.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
One on the lower left side of abdomen, another on upper thigh, and the most recent is on my back near left arm. As for the pus I'm not sure as they are located in spots hard to see, and they usually burst when I'm sleeping. Typically there is a little bit of blood, and they hurt when touched.
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 11 months ago.

Dear customer

Thank you for the reply.

The symptoms you have described of bumps on the lower left side of abdomen, another on upper thigh and recently on your back near left arm is suggestive of a condition called acne.Although typically on face,they can appear on any part of body and at any age.

When you are sleeping,these get rubbed against bed & due to friction they get popped up & slight blood is discharged which you need to clean(first aid).

Another less likely possibility is of folliculitis.It is inflammation of one or more hair follicles.the damaged follicles are then infected with the bacteria staphylococcus.

These acne needs to be treated.The aims of treatment are to prevent new spots/bumps forming, to improve those already present, and to prevent scarring.Apply ointment containing bezoyl peroxide like clearasil Max.It has antibacterial effects and can dry out the skin and encourage it to shed the surface layer of dead skin.It is available as over the counter(OTC) without prescription.

Also you may need oral antibiotics & other medications.So I advise you to make an appointment with your dermatologist for examination & hence the prescription medications accordingly.

Till then apply ointment containing bezoyl peroxide like clearasil Max.It will help you greatly.

If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The lumps are too large to be acne. Almost the size of half dollar when they first appear, mostly flat, and red.
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 11 months ago.

Dear customer

Thank you replying back & providing additional info.

As you have mentioned that the lumps are of quite large size almost the size of half dollar when they first appear, these are most likely to be infected sebaceous cysts.

These are glands in the skin that produce something called sebum, especially on the back. If these gland gets blocked, it starts filling up with sebum and produces a hard lump.When infected they become reddish & painful.

Placing a warm moist cloth (compress) over the area will help greatly in reducing the inflammation & hence the pain.

You can apply ointment ultramide or ointment polysporin.they are available as OTC without prescription.

So I advise you to wait & watch your symptoms.Apply the above described ointment & use warm compresses.If still after this the symptoms persists,then you need to consult your doctor as oral antibiotics may then be required.

Usually & most likely it is cured with these described local measures.

Thank you

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh