Dr. Pravin
Dr. Pravin, Dermatologist
Experience:  Senior Consultant MBBS DNB (DVD)
25843817

Have a macule that shaved off and awaiting a biopsy that is

Customer Question

Have a macule that shaved off and awaiting a biopsy that is already passed two weeks. The macule had been previously been damaged by hair removal cream causing it to burn and even rupture. It's never changed shape or size and when it healed it healed with a bit of redness to it. My first derm removed it because I'm fair skinned. I've since went to another dermatologist and showed him the picture and said it may not be a mole and doesn't think it's melanoma neither.
Category: Dermatology
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
One photo shows when it was damaged 18 months ago. The other two photos are from December 2015. One with bright flash the other with how it looks like in somewhat normal lighting. Just looking to see if it looks malignant. Totally flat.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It's about 6mm in size. Been there for a long time.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Is it normal to heal with the redness or lack of pigment due to the damage done to it? When I burned it with hair it was completely bright red along with the ruptured areas internally.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I mean nair not hair.....
Also this was removed on 12/23/15. If this were to be malignant, I would have surely heard by now correct? I can't imagine a pathology department and Doctor not knowing sooner. I've called for the past few days and the same answer is that it's not back yet. Frustrating.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
to summarize:
macule as what it was referred to by Derm A:
Shave biopsied with healthy margins on 12/23/15
unfortunately this derm uses PAs and not regular derms. They do not use dermotoscopes. She tells me that it looks irregular. Says she's leaning towards it being ok due to history etc.I was due for a skin cancer screening and I wanted to go to some place that wasn't apart of a chain of dermatology offices. I was directed to a place called Rao Dermatology. Both dermatologists that run the place are affiliated with ***** ***** Johnson hospital in NJ.Dr and his nurse practitioner went over my whole body with new state of the art dermatoscopes. Found nothing to remove to my surprise. I have a history of mild to moderate atypical moles that have been removed and a few of them excised further.He saw my biopsy wound and I showed him the picture of the "macule" he remarked that he wasn't even sure it was a mole and didn't think it was melanoma either.My only concern now is this pathology result. It's taking longer than expected but as I eluded to earlier I'm sure a pathologist would have known by now if something was wrong and let it be known. It's been two and a half weeks. I'm assuming the whole two weeks for results thing just encompasses the results for biopsied that are benign.
Expert:  Dr. Pravin replied 11 months ago.

Hello

Welcome and Thank you for your query posted.

My name is***** and being a Skin, Hair and Nail specialist I would be able to provide you with an appropriate solution to your concern.

Please note that my Goal is to provide you with an Excellent Service .

Before I answer your question I would like to get some more information:

Do you have a family or personal past history of melanoma ?

Please note that the answer provided is for information purpose only and does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No family history of melanoma. But I have a history of atypical moles. Hip have no atypical moles left on my body. All are completely normal.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Didn't mean to write hip, meant to say I. This macule also passed a skin exam I'm 2014 a few weeks after It was injured. No itching, ulceration a or scaling.

Thank you for the information provided.

From the history provided and the picture sent , it looks absolutely normal to me.

I am 100 % sure based on the photo provided.

There is no sign of any abnormal dysplasia or malignancy in the photo shown.

Do get back to me in case of any further queries.

Do you Agree with what I have mentioned ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the redness in the center is probably from when I damaged it more than likely? Hate having to sit around for the pathology report!
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
you are sure there are no clinical signs of melanoma. I know melanoma has more of a color variagation to it. Your answer is the same answer I've gotten from a few people. For whatever reason my biopsy on this is just taking longer than usual to get back. It was sent for biopsy on 12/23. I know the holidays probably delayed it but if something were seen during the pathology process I would have gotten an earlier word right? They wouldn't wait until the pathology paper was finally sent out two weeks later correct?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
One last question. I know that unequivocally a pathology report will tell exactly what it is. I also know that there are often times where something is glaringly apparent. Should I even have any slight concern about this coming back as melanoma? I've seen what melanoma looks like. It's not a new growth and I'm 100% sure that any changes to it (the redness in the middle were caused when I ruptured it). Pathology lab where this is right now is backed up due to the holidays. I'm sure it's been seen already and just not transcripted. Can't imagine a sample would site for two weeks and not be looked at for the simple fact that something could be wrong that needs attention. I look way to far into things. Looking forward to your reply.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Dr Pravin, i dont know if you are still following this transaction. I would like to leave you feedback however, the rating starts are grayed out.

Thank you very much for the reply .

Yes , if there was some issue they would have responded to you much earlier.

Their delay may due to technical reasons as it happens everywhere !

You shouldn't have any concern over it being a melanoma.

However , do examine it once in 6 months for changes in size shape ulcer and color change as a precautionary measure only . Nothing else.

Do you need any more information ?

Do you want me to release the rating service application on your page ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
They removed it on 12/23. So I shouldn't expect any news that it's malignant right lol. I knowwhat melanoma looks like but is a very serious problem.

Thank you for your reply.

Not to worry about any news as from the photo it looks all normal

Do not worry .

I am releasing the rating service application on your page so you can provide me a feedback.
Regards

Dr Pravin