dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

I have red blemishes on my legs and feet that I've had 32

Customer Question

I have red blemishes on my legs and feet that I've had for about 32 years of my life and have never gone away..
Wearing sandals is something I don't do cause I don't feel comfortable with red and purple blemishes on my legs and feet and wearing shorts is also something that I can't do..
Can you help
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for asking your question. Is it possible to forward a photograph? Thank you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Good. Please take your time.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
here is a pic

Thank you for the picture. Are these places palpable ( are they elevated above the skin?), Do they itch? What is your occupation? Do they go away to be replaced by new ones?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
They don't go away and don't itch but my hands and feet are always cold even during the summer and they started when I was 13 years old and that's when I started my menstrual cycle for the first time and since then I've had them and never go away and I've learned to live without wearing sandals or shorts

Thank you for the additional information.

This appears most consistent with idiopathic livedo reticularis, a rather mild case of it actually. This is a condition in which the capillaries are dilated and the blood flow is a bit stagnant. This causes the discoloration. We do not know what causes livedo reticularis. I don't think creams or lotions will help but you can try aspirin and your physician might prescribe Trental or Dipyrimadole. However, there is no sure fire treatment for this. I would recommend an evaluation with studies to include anti-phopholipid antibiodies, platelets and ANA ( antinuclear antibodies).