dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

I have a shiny raised red spot on the head of my penis. it

Customer Question

I have a shiny raised red spot on the head of my penis. it has been there for several months now and hasnt gone away or gotten larger. I have read online that it may be a yeast infection or something like that. Do you have any ideas on treatments or what it may be?
Category: Dermatology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Adding Picture
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for posting your question and having the foresight to include a picture. This does not look like a yeast infection to my eye.

Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 1 year ago.

Is there a history of skin disease in either you or your family?

If not this appears more consistent with an entity called lichen planus.We do not know the cause of this, but its occurrence on the penis is not rare. It is not a serious condition but can be troublesome to cure. My recommendation for treatment would be Hydrocortisone ointment 1%. Put saran wrap over the area at night.

Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 1 year ago.

I would be happy to answer further questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no history of skin disease in my family or with myself.I will try the hydrocortisone cream a couple nights and see if it gets better. Will post after a couple treatments.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your fast response!
Expert:  dermdoc19 replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome. You may need prescription strength medication but that is worth trying.