dermdoc19
dermdoc19, Dermatologist
Experience:  30 years practice in general and cosmetic dermatology
50983945

My name is ***** *****, the issue I have is every time I

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** *****, the issue I have is every time I shave my skin around the mouth & chin area turn red & spreads, it feels like my face is on fire.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Yes, I have seen a specialist some time ago & they prescribed hydrozole cream & then qv moistisning cream, I am required to shave on a daily bases, I am out in the elements (weather) for 12 hours per shift.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Dermatology Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ok
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  khagihara replied 11 months ago.

You should wash your face before you shave. Cleansers help soften your beard. Change razors or blades frequently. A dull blade can irritate your skin and cause rashes. Apply shaving cream or gel (without alcohol) on your face. The shaving cream or gel produces lather, which helps protect the skin as the razor cuts the hair. Go with the grain of your hair, not against it. For most guys, whiskers on the face grow down. So shaving downward on the face removes most of the hair. Shaving against the grain (or upward) can cause rashes or red bumps. It’s very important to shave slowly and gently. Let the razor blade do the work. Don’t push down too hard with the razor. t’s better to go over a part of the skin twice -- lightly -- than to press down hard. Use soft, short strokes on your jaw and chin.

After you shave, you should use a light moisturizer can soothe skin and cut down on razor burn. Don't use aftershave.