Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Medicine doctor , PGCSD( Dermatology)
6740150

I have come down with rash while holidaying in bali. Been

Customer Question

Hi, i have come down with rash while holidaying in bali. Been here for 3 days. After reading posts..i may have brushed against a plant or possibly a caterpillar..should i see someone? What treatment should be used...it seems to be spreading to all parts of body a bit
Category: Dermatology
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Welcome to Justanswer website.

Myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern appropriately.

Is there any itching along with rashes?

Are the rashes raised?

On what part of body the rash first begin?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dr josh. Thanks for you help.
I first noticed underneath forearm which was a bit itchy at the time..then it quickly spread up the rest of the arm. It is consistent on both arms. And now has started to my lower stomach.
No real itchiness though or need to scratch. The rashes on arms are raised...the rash on stomach isnt ...yet. no rash on chest, face or legs yet
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When the skin is dry on forearms it is a bit itchy in parts
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer

Thank you for your reply.

Yes,the symptoms you have described of raised rashes on both arms and now spreading to other parts of body is suggestive of skin disease known as eczema(Dermatitis)

A hypersensitivity reaction (similar to an allergy) occurs in the skin, causing inflammation. The inflammation causes the skin to become reddish & mild itchy. It is quite possible to get this allergy from a contact of some plant or an insect.

The following will help you greatly:Take tablet benadryl once a day.Apply cream containing hydrocortisone.

If the area is large then apply Calamine lotion.This will reduce the rashes & the slight itching you are having.All these medications are available at your counter without any prescription.

If still the symptoms persists or if the rash is severe, is on the face or genitals, or covers more than 20% of the body, then you need examination from your doctor & hence the prescription medications.

Usually & in most cases,the symptoms get resolved by this above described treatments.Also you do not have any rash on chest,face or legs so far.

If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I am 30 years old and have never had any excema skin condition. I know what excema is as my friend use to have it. It is definitely not excema and i went to the pharmacy yesterday and purchased cream and tablets.
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer

Thank you for replying back.

Yes,the skin condition presents differently in each individual.

Dermatitis/hypersensensitive reaction or allergy from contact with of some plant or an insect is the most probable cause.Medically the condition is called contact dermatitis.This causes the body to release inflammatory chemicals that can make the skin feel rashes,itchy and irritated.

If one will avoid the offending substance, the rash usually clears up in two to four weeks.

So hopefully you are away from the possible contact(allergen),your condition will get subside in next few days.

As you have purchased the above described medications,this will help you quick recovery & subside the symptoms.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry to be a pain Dr Josh.
I now have come down with full body ache, dehydrated and headache..does this have something to do with rash also? Should i be seeing someone further as afterall i am in bali and who knows what is over here in terms of illness etc...
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 1 year ago.

Dear customer

Thank you for asking follow up questions.

No,I do not think that the body ache,dehydration & headache you are having is related to the rash.

If the rash has not spread further and/or the previous rashes has subsided by this time,then this is a good sign & there is nothing to worry.

To get relief from headache & body ache,take tab. Ibuprofen 400mg from the counter. It is available as OTC(over the counter) without prescription & will help you greatly.

There is nothing to worry as of now.Just keep an eye of observation over the rash & other symptoms.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh